Plugin Contributions

help question Attribute issue for consideration please

Hi
    Ok, I'm simply looking for suggestions/ideas from experienced Zenners who know the attributes system. I am trying to work out the best solution for my client and would appreciate any experience that may help.

My client will be selling diamond rings. The very nature of the product involves many attributes to consider when pricing
    for sale. The ring itself has the attributes - metal type & finger size. The stone has the attributes - carat, cut, clarity, colour.

In an ideal world I require the values assigned to options of an attribute drop-down menu to be dynamically updated by the selection of an option from another attribute drop-down menu. In other words: Menu A has 5 product options at fixed prices. Menu B has 3 options, the prices of which depend on which option is selected from Menu A. However, it is clear that this is not possible with Zen. Our ideal attribute menu system would be something like THIS.

So, we think we are restricted to something like this, which involves each ring having 5 drop-down attribute menu's:

(1) Metal Type : There will be 3, 4 or 5 metal types, depending on the individual ring, which will all have an incremental price increase

(2) Finger Size : There will be 36 finger sizes, on all rings, which will have no price increase on a minimum/base price

(3) Premium Diamond Range : There will be 3 - 9 choices of carat size for this range

(4) Superior Diamond Range : There will be 3 - 9 choices of carat size for this range

(5) Prestige Diamond Range : There will be 3 - 9 choices of carat size for this range

Basically, the cut, clarity and colour of a diamond will be combined into 1 of the 3 ranges.

The theory is that the user will choose (1) the metal type, (2) the finger size and (3) One carat size from one of the
    diamond ranges.

So... that's our theory! My initial thought is how do we suggest/hint/force the user to only choose from one diamond range? There can and will be information around the site regarding the different range's, and of course the price will take a pounding if a carat from more than one range is selected. We also have the use of initially selected menu text to say "choose carat size from ONE diamond range ONLY".

I have the slight concern that this menu system is not idiot proof, and a user could choose from all 3 ranges. But you would have to be a complete plum to do so.. surely? I have Chromes superb dynamic price updater in place so the user has the price calculated in their face, which will hopefully minimise idiocy on the choice of attributes. See it working here >

I'm aware that this ask is an in-depth look for somebody, but any suggestion would be appreciated. If you have a better solution please put it forward. I need to confirm the best menu options and attribute settings, the best way to price a ring given the aforementioned attributes, and I need to make life as easy as possible for both user and admin.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

121webconsultancy - Professional Website Design & Internet Marketing

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Attribute issue for consideration please

OK as not being familiar with this and pricing I have to ask some maybe "stupid" questions:
    For the Premium, Superior and Prestige levels is there ANY programatic constant like

1/2 carat is x, next level is x*150%, and top level is x*200%
    3/4 carat same types of relationships but can be different %
    and on
    Alternatively, have the "Quality" attribute have up to 27 entries
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Without the major custom coding of forcing only one of the three ranges to be used, the best method may be to combine the ranges into one option name with up to 27 radiobuttons; this will ensure that only one is selected.
    With some lesser custom coding, the attribute display could be reworked to organize the radiobuttons into three groups with appropriate text.

Plugin Contributions

The dynamic price updater does work nicely. I have a feeling that this may be enough to ensure that idiots at least retract their stupid multiple selections.
    I don't know that it would be possible to separate an option name into three dropdowns, so if you want that rather than radiobuttons, you probably have the best stock setup possible now.

If you want to offer the flexibility of tradeoffs, you might have a separate radiobutton (without price modification) for the customer to indicate a preference within a range for emphasizing cut, color or clarity (or none in particular). Then the jewelers could select from stock which will have some variation according to the customer'spreference.
    Last edited by gjh42; 8 Jan 2009 at 07:30 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    OK as not being familiar with this and pricing I have to ask some maybe "stupid" questions:
    For the Premium, Superior and Prestige levels is there ANY programatic constant like

1/2 carat is x, next level is x*150%, and top level is x*200%
    3/4 carat same types of relationships but can be different %
    and on
    Alternatively, have the "Quality" attribute have up to 27 entries
    Hi Kobra.

Thanks for your time.

To answer your query as best I can - YES, the carat options will have an incremental price increase. Basically, the diamond could have 5 carat options, all of which will have a fixed price increase on the minimum/base price. However, there are 3 diamond qualities to choose from. So you can choose to have your carat of choice from the premium, superior or prestige range of diamonds. The premium range being the lowest cost diamonds, prestige being more expensive.

I hope this assists.

Regards,

Steve

Plugin Contributions

Think you missed the point of my question??

I do know enough that 1/2 to 1 carat will carry an increase in price but you did portend that this would be fixed and predictable.
    However, there are 3 diamond qualities to choose from.
    How about the predictability for this?

Guess if you can manually create a matrix on paper and then calculate the mathematical change in price for each if possible

Like carat size down the left side and quality and cut across the top and see what the relationships are to be able to configure the attributes reliably.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    The dynamic price updater does work nicely. I have a feeling that this may be enough to ensure that idiots at least retract their stupid multiple selections.
    I don't know that it would be possible to separate an option name into three dropdowns, so if you want that rather than radiobuttons, you probably have the best stock setup possible now.

If you want to offer the flexibility of tradeoffs, you might have a separate radiobutton (without price modification) for the customer to indicate a preference within a range for emphasizing cut, color or clarity (or none in particular). Then the jewelers could select from stock which will have some variation according to the customer'spreference.
    Hi Glen

Many thanks for your time and consideration.

I understand what you are saying about the forcing issue via radio buttons but there would be sooo many of them that I shiver at the thought of the sight.. and I'm pretty sure my client would not favour this. However, I am pleased that you also feel that the dynamic price updater would flush out folk from the shallow end of the gene pool.. after all, they are shopping for diamonds not gummy bears, so you would hope for their due care and attention.

The way that we are going - what would you say would be the best way to price the rings?.... by attribute? Do I set a minimum price, which would be the cheapest metal + the smallest carat from the premium range...? Or can I set no price to the ring and allow all option choices to determine the price? If so, how/what will the initial price display show?

Thanks for your help/advice on this issue.

Regards,

Steve

Plugin Contributions

If so, how/what will the initial price display show?
    By Default the text is "Starting At" and this is a defines and can be changed to state something else and the value for this is the lowest price for the base product and this could be the ring is the most economical metal
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Think you missed the point of my question??

I do know enough that 1/2 to 1 carat will carry an increase in price but you did portend that this would be fixed and predictable.

How about the predictability for this?

Guess if you can manually create a matrix on paper and then calculate the mathematical change in price for each if possible

Like carat size down the left side and quality and cut across the top and see what the relationships are to be able to configure the attributes reliably.
    Aaaah, I see, sorry. This would be something that I would need my client to explore, as at this time I am not privvy to the costing calculations of the individual attributes. I will perhaps ask the client to join the forum and get directly involved in this discussion as he will be managing the store.

Plugin Contributions

By Default the text is "Starting At" and this is a defines and can be changed to state something else and the value for this is the lowest price for the base product and this could be the ring is the most economical metal
    Yes of course, the base price will just be the most economical metal, and doesn't need the cost of any carat added until a user makes a choice. And the "Starting At" is indeed defined.. I have just realised that I removed this definition a couple of weeks ago when initially playing with the attributes... doh!

Thank you Kobra!!