Plugin Contributions

Default USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate

I'm trying to set up Priority Mail Flat Rate for my site at http://www.zambeziexotics.com I'm using Zen Cart 1.3.8a

I have the USPS module enabled and it is working, but the rates that it is giving are high. I have Express, Priority and First Class selected under the Domestic Shipping Methods. There is no option for Priority Flat Rate.

For example when I place three of these items http://zambeziexotics.com/index.php?...products_id=22 in the cart and click on estimate shipping charges it gives me an estimate of $12.65 to zip code 85212. I know that I can fit these three items easily in a Flat Rate Envelope and ship them for $4.80 which is what I would like to charge the customer.

Any help on how I can achieve this would be greatly appreciated. My site is up and running good but the shipping module is the only part that I'm struggling to get my head around

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate

What is the total weight of the order being shown by the cart? Have you adjusted the Tare weight in the Admin> Configuration> Shipping and Packaging?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Kim

Thanks for the reply. I adjusted the Tare weight to 0:0 and that made a difference. If less than one pound of product is in the cart then the correct weight is shown. However I know that I can fit 14 of that product in a Flat Rate Envelope and ship for $4.80. The total weight of 14 of that product is 1.96 pounds and so the shipping estimate is $7.70

I also checked the Postage Rates on the USPS website and the module is calculating the rates correctly based on the Priority Mail rate. I guess the problem is there is no option to select Priority Mail Flat Rate in the module.

The only work around solution that I can see is to leave the Module set for Priority Rate and put a note on the shopping cart page informing customers that I ship via Priority Mail and that is what they will be charged, if I am able to fit the product in a Flat Rate Box/Envelope then I will refund the difference.

If you know of any other options I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks again.

Plugin Contributions

The problem is that the flat rate envelopes and boxes are based on volume not weight and Zen Cart can not calculate the volume.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

I see. I have set the tare weight to 0 and have added the following to the shopping cart page:

Please note: Shipping calculations are based on weight. I generally ship using Priority Mail and I only charge for shipping the amount that it costs me to ship. If I am able to fit your order in a Flat Rate Envelope or Box then I will refund the difference.

That will keep me going for now until I am able to figure something else out.

Thanks again for your help

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by VisExp View Post
    I see. I have set the tare weight to 0 and have added the following to the shopping cart page:

Please note: Shipping calculations are based on weight. I generally ship using Priority Mail and I only charge for shipping the amount that it costs me to ship. If I am able to fit your order in a Flat Rate Envelope or Box then I will refund the difference.

Have you found a better solution for this?

Plugin Contributions

I have installed ZenCart latest version and in process of setting it up. I ran into a problem with USPS rates being inaccurate and found that back last year there was a patch for the problem. My first question is when a bug or change is found when is this fix installed in the program or is it not installed until a new version is release.

After installing this patch there is still a problem. The patch only corrected the cost of postage if bought inside the post office. If you use Quick & Ship it is still off.

Need to have an option in USPS module where you can select which postage to display because this is not liner where you could adjust using handling charge option.

Thanks
    Larry

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by VisExp View Post

Also curious if you have found a better solution for this?

Plugin Contributions

No I have not found another solution. I am hoping this will be included in the new release. Also need ability to set minimum charge that will override a lessor amount from live shipper. I must have a solution by July.

Plugin Contributions

There are really two parts to this problem: the first is that USPS does not include an option for a Flat Rate Box in the domestic rate quote API (so don't blame the Zen Cart team!), and the second is that the cart has no means of knowing if the order will fit a flat rate box anyway.

I just developed a work-around for a client so he could specify how many of his larger products could fit in a flat rate box (eg a maximum of 7 of mixed products A, B or C, but none of product D which is too large), and then if the quote from USPS was higher than the $9.85 he pays for sending a flat rate box AND the order was less than he specified as the maximum products, the cart will override the USPS quote and only charge the $9.85.

While far from perfect, this solution looks like it will work out for him - I guess we'll see how it turns out in the next few weeks (the site goes live in the next few days). He also only has 8 products which makes this sort of workaround easier - I don't think it would be suitable for a store that carries a large range of products.
    Neville
    An assumption is what you arrive at when you get tired of thinking...