Plugin Contributions

help question IE7 under Vista generates error when calling www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr

I have two live sites (using 1.3.8a) that both use PayPal Standard IPN. I have just discovered that anyone using IE7 under Vista cannot access the standard URL for PayPal live processing (paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr]).

Both sites are fine when browsed with: Firefox under Vista; Safari under Vista (same machine with the IE7 that won't work!), IE6 under XP Pro, Opera under XP Pro, Firefox under XP Pro, and Safari, Firefox and Opera under Mac OS10.

When using IE7 attempting to purchase by clicking on the "confirm the order" button (Step 3 in the order confirmation confirmation process) causes PayPal to display an error page.

Clearly if this is a common issue then we are all losing money! I have searched the forums and whilst I find that IE7 causes numerous posts, I haven't seen this one before. Probably the first response will either tell where the 'fix' is or point out something simple that I can do to 'fix' the problem but, believe you me, I'll be ever so grateful!

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: IE7 under Vista generates error when calling www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr

Quote Originally Posted by Tectic View Post
    I have two live sites (using 1.3.8a) that both use PayPal Standard IPN. I have just discovered that anyone using IE7 under Vista cannot access the standard URL for PayPal live processing (paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr]).

Both sites are fine when browsed with: Firefox under Vista; Safari under Vista (same machine with the IE7 that won't work!), IE6 under XP Pro, Opera under XP Pro, Firefox under XP Pro, and Safari, Firefox and Opera under Mac OS10.

When using IE7 attempting to purchase by clicking on the "confirm the order" button (Step 3 in the order confirmation confirmation process) causes PayPal to display an error page.

Clearly if this is a common issue then we are all losing money! I have searched the forums and whilst I find that IE7 causes numerous posts, I haven't seen this one before. Probably the first response will either tell where the 'fix' is or point out something simple that I can do to 'fix' the problem but, believe you me, I'll be ever so grateful!
    I note that whilst this post has had 58 views its not had any replies - I cannot have been clear enough, let me try again

I have two commercial commerce sites and neither of them can successfully sell to anyone using Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) running on a PC running Vista if they elect to pay using the Checkout Process and 'PayPal Payments Standard with IPN'. This is very bad news as there must be a very large number of prospective customers out there with just this configuration.

I have personally checked on a couple of machines as well as getting several customers to also check - this is an IE7 issue as it is always possible, when unable to access the PayPal checkout using IE7, to complete the deal (access PayPal) using Firefox on the same machine.

Firstly, I love to know if it's something I've inadvertently done that's caused the problem.

Secondly, I want to know if I'm alone in having this problem?

I raised a Ticket with PayPal Merchant Technical Services giving the information that I posted here and this is the relevant part of their response:
    "Out of the list of browsers that you mentioned and after testing you see that all but 1 work shows that the issue is with the single browser that is not working IE 7 on Vista. The browser itself may have a setting that is causing it to not work or it may simply be the browser and how it was coded. The fact that every other browser you tried works fine, shows that the problem is not on the PayPal end."
    In other words, it's not their problem, I know it's my problem - is it yours too?

If you can, please would you check that your carts that are using PayPal (Payments Standard not Payment Pro) either don't have this problem - in which case please PM me or post here to tell me it's down to me and my code - or that do, in which case I believe we really need to know that!