Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion How do I preserve the site formatting after restoring archived site db from backup?

I used to have a fantastic zen store, many months ago. But it wasn't generating any sales, and to make a long story short, my domain lapsed and my host acct closed.

I do have back ups of my old zencart files, but I didnt' save a copy of my MYSQL database. I don't care about the categories, products or customers. Just the formatting and look of the Zen Cart Store so I can tweek it into a new store.

Is there a way to do this? I've tried making changes to the old admin/includes/configure.php and includes/configure.php files to point it to the new domain, MYSQL database etc, but the style of the pages are not like they were.

Is there hope for this or is it a lost cause?

Thanks for your help in advanced.

Jane

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I preserve the site formatting after restoring archived site db from backu

Unfortunately, without the original database, many of the "switches" and store configurations used to help structure the site, will be lost.

While a large number of display parameters are governed by the template you choose and the stylesheets, settings in the database also influence the layout.

Furthermore, your "old" custom template must be compatible (version-wise) with the database version. And then there's the issue of any modules you may have added - particularly if these modules also relied on changes to the database - if this is so, you will have references in your php that call info from database tables that are unlikely to exist in the new database.

The integration of the database with the code is very intricate, and having one without the other makes life difficult.
    20 years a Zencart User