Plugin Contributions

Default Multiple tax rates per state, combining

Hello Everyone,
    I'm sorry to post about a problem that seems to have been discussed at length, but I cannot find an answer to my issue in the threads I've found.

Here is my site info:
    • zen cart 1.3.8
    • brand new installation
    • the only module I've installed is the fedex shipping module
    • the site is not live, but will be shortly

My Issue:
    I have a store setup that will be shipping to the entire US. They have a presence in 8 states and thus must apply taxes to those 8 states. Currently when I test the checkout steps, an item that should be getting taxed shows up with multiple tax zones and the taxes are about 500% of the cost of the item.

Ex:

I understand that it is adding up all the tax rates under the Zone Definition that I've setup for the county I'm shipping to, but I don't understand why, or how to correct it.

My Setup:
    I have 9 different "Zone Definitions," 8 states and one for the rest of the US. 4 of these states have different taxes depending upon county and city. At the moment I'm only worrying about the counties so they are all that I've set up.

Under "Zones" I have each county entered as California (County Name), and each has a code of CA (which I read somewhere was the way to go with counties due to the limitation of string length for this field being 3).

Under "Tax Rates" I have all the taxes entered, tied to the zone definition for its state and the name of the county in the "Description" field.

I hope this is a clear enough description that someone will be able to help me. If you need any other information or screenshots, please let me know and I'll post them as soon as possible.

Thank you!
    Jacob

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Multiple tax rates per state, combining

Hi Jacob,

Have you found a resolution to your Tax Issue? I am curious...I am in NY and we have the county tax issue also. I am still in the stages of setting up so was wondering how you made out.

Sue

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Multiple tax rates per state, combining

Hello Sue,
    Unfortunately we ended up just giving up. The client decided to simply cover the extra amount and just use the state tax rate. Sorry I couldn't be more help.