Plugin Contributions

Default How do you let non US customers enter address without putting in State + Sales Tax Qs

Okay, i read this a while ago when first experimenting with ZC, but am unable to find the thread again, been searching and searching but to no avail.

1.Here is the problem, how do you let international customers put register and put in their address and zip without forcing them to put a US state code, whilst still allowing US customers to input their full address?

2. How do we ensure sales tax is only charged for orders shipped to AZ and not anywhere else? Remember, this all has to sync together to allow international customers to input their correct address format whilst also ensuring only AZ orders get charged Sales Tax.

I Know its possible, have done it before, but cant' remember how.

Thanks . . .

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do you let non US customers enter address without putting in State + Sales Ta

Okay, think i figured part of it out.

How to allow international customers to input their correct address format. Not sure if this is perfect, think the thread i read before when i first tried it out was cleaner and better, feel like i'm missing something, but this is what i've done so far.

a. Went to configuration/minimum value and set state to blank.
    b. Went to configuration/Customer Details and set 'State-Always display as pull down to true.
    c. went to Locations-Taxes/Zone Definitions and created new Zone called Non US and set zone to all countries.

hmm, just feels a bit messy - not sure if i'm missing something . . .

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do you let non US customers enter address without putting in State + Sales Ta

Quote Originally Posted by princess_care View Post
    Okay, think i figured part of it out.

How to allow international customers to input their correct address format. Not sure if this is perfect, think the thread i read before when i first tried it out was cleaner and better, feel like i'm missing something, but this is what i've done so far.

a. Went to configuration/minimum value and set state to blank.
    b. Went to configuration/Customer Details and set 'State-Always display as pull down to true.
    c. went to Locations-Taxes/Zone Definitions and created new Zone called Non US and set zone to all countries.

hmm, just feels a bit messy - not sure if i'm missing something . . .
    Update:
    Don't need to do step c., not necessary. Just make sure you set State value to blank in Configuration/Customer Details. and also make sure you do set b.

New Step C. Go to Taxes/Zone Definitions/Zone Definitions, make one zone called USA and select all zones. Make another Zone call it Arizona, or any other state you wish to charge Sales Tax on, and select Arizona zone or specific state you wish to charge sales tax on.
    D. Go to define taxes, create or insert call it Arizona, then click through to complete by selecting the zone and enter the amount of Sales Tax you wish to Charge and also enter description. something like AZ Sales Tax 8.5%

If you follow these steps your international customers can enter their correct international format, they can either choose to enter something in the State box or not, as they wish.

Secondly, you can also make sure Sales Tax is only charged for one particular state, and not to any other or any customers outside USA.

You can adopt this method for any particular location, just modifying the Zone Definitions and Tax Definitions to reflect the specific state you wish to charge sales tax on.

Please excuse anything not explained clearly above, and any problems or errors or suggestions to make it better please post - we're still learning, no matter how much we know already.

Plugin Contributions

New Step C. Go to Taxes/Zone Definitions/Zone Definitions, make one zone called USA and select all zones. Make another Zone call it Arizona, or any other state you wish to charge Sales Tax on, and select Arizona zone or specific state you wish to charge sales tax on.
    So how does this work with my shop in the UK?
    Ive not yet managed to work out what to do with state, as we have no use for it here, although it could be used for counties, but there is no price differences.

The problems I need to address is how to accept overseas customers making an account, as all so far have been denied.
    I want to accept Ireland/US/Canada/Australia or anywhere ex pats may be now located.

Have amended details from A & B but not C in the info above.
    But have attempted to set Europe & ROW zones, but it says shipping but theres nothing there about that. Shipping for zones looks complicated. UK is easy, just flat rated.
    Original store was 1.39:- TransportPostcards.co.uk/shop (redirecting out)
    Working on a fresh new store... 1.56a TransportPostcards.co.uk/store
    Appreciate Zen-Cart? - Always keep a banner link on your shop