Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Help? product table on category page: 1 product per row with 7 columns giving specs

Any suggestions on how to get the following table rows and columns on the product listing page?
    Name:  product_listing.gif
Views: 191
Size:  9.5 KB (click image to zoom it)
    I can put the Part # in the product name field and the Port Type in the model field, but how might I add the other specifications and maintain the table format?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by wbmangy; 14 Feb 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help? product table on category page: 1 product per row with 7 columns giving spe

How will all this additional data be captured, stored and rendered?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help? product table on category page: 1 product per row with 7 columns giving spe

Thanks for the offer of help - I suppose that is part of the question. I was imagining inputting it in the admin panel, but don't know the best method.

Plugin Contributions

To store additional data, and then to have that data displayed in various places, you need to:

1. Create storage tables/areas in the database.
    2. Write php script that enables the data to be captured.
    3. Write php script that enables the data to be displayed.

This will be quite a significant project, and you will need an above-average knowledge of the zencart database schema and the nature of the php code that drives all of it.

Plugin Contributions

huh, so sounds like this type of thing is not foreseen - how about a hack where I'm putting it directly in as html?

Plugin Contributions

Zencart does not use html as you probably know it. The pages are compiled dynamically using PHP, which calls in resources from files and from the database. A single page can have several hundred components called in this way.

These are dynamic pages - html "on-the-fly", and they "evaporate" when the viewer selects another link.

What you are asking for may be possible (I don't know as it's likely to be complex), but it cannot be achieved with flat HTML hacked into the templates.

Plugin Contributions

yep - have been poking through the templates, and have a custom template 80% done - this was the stumper.

was hoping there was some way of co-opting options/attributes to store/retrieve the info and allow it to be accessed via the admin panel. do you see any potential in that route?

thanks again for your willingness to give a leg up.

Plugin Contributions

alternatively, is there a way to allow html in the descriptions?

Plugin Contributions

Yes, you can use html tags in the product descriptions.

Plugin Contributions

hi Bobdog -

html is stripped from product descriptions in the version I'm using (1.3.8). is there a setting for allowing them? (fwiw, I notice they are allowed in category descriptions, and even product model....).

this seems like a worst-case approach to implementing. anyone have a better suggestion?

I'm an average-ability php coder but have no familiarity with the zen cart structure. Ideally it would be an approach that leverages existing php variables....
    Last edited by wbmangy; 14 Feb 2009 at 10:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast