I am using 1.3.8a for a french store

The payment gateway is ATOS, which is the only option for our french bank.

We are finding frequent (one in 3) orders paid for and then the order never showing as completed in the zencart.

I have been informed that this occurs with Paypal sometimes as well because when the payment is made off-site the customer is not always returned to zencart, thus zencart does not know to change the status of the basket to a placed order.

We have to check the bank daily, then check recover cart sales module in tools to look for baskets from the clients who have made payments. This issue obviously has to be resolved, if it takes switching banks or carts.

For now, I can not figure out how we "place" the order so that it processes the basket that is stuck in limbo.

If I login as the customer I can go to the cart with the paid for items but I would have to pay for them again to get it to process.

Do we have to do something as convoluted as turning off the cart late at night and turing on the "credit card" offline processing in test mode, change their email so they don't get notified about a purchase they believe they have already made, then change it all back once the order is out of the basket?