Plugin Contributions

Default How to add a flat charge for products shipping into Canada from US?

* I have the current version of ZenCart

I have a problem that has been keeping me from introducing our products into Canada (we manufacture and distribute poker tables).

Right now we have our products shipping to the US with the perunitweight shipping setup for small items, but all our poker tables (anything over 145lb ships = $0 ships free).

What I would like to do is add a customs clearance flat rate surcharge for all Canadian customers that covers both the customs clearance, and additional shipping freight charges (about $70USD). Right now, if I enable another shipping module for Canada, it shows up as another option when the customer checks out, which is not what I need, because people have a tendency to pick the cheapest option.

What I would like to do is add a flat charge for all Canadian orders, weighing over 145lbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to add a flat charge for products shipping into Canada from US

How are you managing the Free Shipping right now for the US?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to add a flat charge for products shipping into Canada from US

I think right now we have all our tables designated as "item ships free" in the products setup.

I think we also stipulated in the per weight shipping module that anything over 145lbs ships free.

I just realized that that's duplicate, how should I go about making it more efficient?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to add a flat charge for products shipping into Canada from US?

If you build a Zone for the US ... note: you have to decide is that ALL of the US with all states, territories, Islands ... or just the states etc. ... you can put that Zone on the current shipping methods ...

Then, you can customize the Flat Rate (or do you mean Per Item at 70 each) and set for Canada only ...

Then only the correct shipping method will show based on Shipping ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Ajeh,
    This is so close to what I want to do I was hoping you could help me also.

I currently use UPS shipping and only ship to the US. I want to ship to Canada also using UPS, but I want to add a "export fee" sort of like bbopokertables mentioned, but I want that added in addition to the UPS shipping charge.

I know all I do is enable the Canada option on the UPS shipping module and it calculates the UPS charge to ship to Canada but how can I add this additional fee to ONLY shipments bound for Canada?

Thank you in advance Ajeh!

-Tony

Plugin Contributions

You can test the current country and set an additional charge ...

You will see in the module where the handling fee is added ... the difference is you only want to add that for Canada ...

Code:
            $methods[] = array('id' => $type,
                               'title' => $this->types[$type],
                               'cost' => ($cost + MODULE_SHIPPING_UPS_HANDLING) * $shipping_num_boxes);
    You could change that constant MODULE_SHIPPING_UPS_HANDLING to be a variable and set the variable based on the country ...
    Linda McGrath

huh??? I'm sorry that's a little over my head. You wouldn't have an easier way, like in the admin section, so I can change the so called export fee whenever I want to.

-Tony

Plugin Contributions

Afraid not ... this has to be custom coded ...

You could, however, customize it so that the change itself can be made in the Admin for future updates if the handling would only be applied to 1 country ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

I'm with trdlasvegas on this one. Seems like there ought to be a way - simpler than the solution that Ajeh proposes.

If a new tax rate (locations; zones; tax rates area) could be created with a fixed amount instead of a percentage, this could work well.

Is that possible?

Matt