Thread: Xampp 1.7.0??

Plugin Contributions

Default Xampp 1.7.0??

Hello, I did a search for XAMPP 1.7.0 in titles and came up with nothing so here is my question or questions:

I found a thread where Goh Koon Hoek clarifies that XAMPP version 1.6.8 runs fine with Zen Cart 1.3.8a with a few minor changes concerning ports. But I was curious about XAMPP 1.7.0?? does Zen Cart 1.3.8a run smoothly with XAMPP 1.7.0?? if so, is there anything i should know about concerning configuration??

also, since every different version of XAMPP has a different version of mySQL that comes with it will this cause me problems when I go LIVE and have to send my mySQL database to remote server?? so i guess my question is does it matter which mySQL version I am using?? if so, which mySQL version should I be looking for when browsing different versions of XAMPP??

please remember that I intend to use ZC 1.3.8a with XAMPP 1.7.0 or 1.6.8 on local machine for development and then go LIVE later when everything i hope gets finished smoothly..

thanks in advance .....

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Xampp 1.7.0??

As a quick reference, the main software versions for XAMPP 1.7.0 are as follows:

• Apache HTTPD 2.2.11
    • MySQL 5.1.30
    • PHP 5.2.8

I've not tried out XAMPP 1.7.0 so I can't comment on its exact compatibility with Zen Cart 1.3.8a. However, XAMPP 1.6.8 works (with some port adjustments) perfectly fine with Zen Cart 1.3.8a though.

For maximum MySQL compatibility, you might want to download an XAMPP version with the same MySQL version as your host. This prevents any unforeseen conflict when doing import/export of your database data.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

thanks buddy.....

Plugin Contributions

Question regarding phpmyadmin for XAMPP:

(MySQL connection collation field)

in your book which uses an older version of XAMPP it specifies to select "utf8_general_ci" as the MySQL connection collation.. however, for the newer XAMPP 1.6.8 "utf8_unicode_ci" is the default selection.. I am concerned as to compatibility issues with the remote server (I haven't chose one yet) I plan to use in the future.. which do you recc using (unicode or general)?? does it even matter?? thanks in advance..

Should I be worried about compatibility (MySQL client version: 5.0.67)??

thanks in advance.....

Plugin Contributions

I think you are referring to the screenshot on pg 39.

Notice that the "utf8_general_ci" as the MySQL connection collation in the screenshot actually falls under the phpMyAdmin section. That means phpMyAdmin is using that collation while acting as a client to connect to the database. It has nothing to do with a newly created database's collation.

On the other hand, Create new database has a select box with Collation as its default. For that version of XAMPP, the default collation for a newly created database will be latin1_general_ci. This happens to coincide with the character set (ISO-8859-1) of the 1.3.x series of Zen Cart. Thus, your newly created database for that version of XAMPP has a collation of latin1_general_ci.

Regardng the "utf_general_ci" vs "utf_unicode_ci" issue, I think this article will explain things much better.

With regards to compatibilty, I would hesitate to give a firm answer as too many variables and scenarios are involved.

That said, I do not foresee a big problem in your case as long as your hosts database version (closely) matches your current XAMPP's database version.

PS: Note that a MySQL client differs from a MySQL server.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store