Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Product specific shipping cost

My dad sells blinds and blind parts such as roller blind clutches, chain, vertical tracks, etc. He wants me to set up a store for him online. For the small stuff like clutches (except chain) the shipping is $10 for each, but for the large stuff it's $20. The chain I suppose would be $10 no matter how much you buy. How would I do this?

It seems like a lot of people want but it's still not implemented.
    Last edited by jordanwb; 5 Mar 2009 at 08:31 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product specific shipping cost

Usually I would say use the Per Unit perweightunit Shipping module and you can set the weight as the Shipping Price per unit purchased of the Product ...

What you might be able to do is customize this module just a bit more and have 0 weight charge 10.00 as that would be the "chains of unlimited quantity" so I can buy 1000 of them and have only $10.00 shipping ...

and then, use the Product Weight to control the other items with the 20.00 on the weight to charge $20.00 per item purchased so if I buy 3 blinds my shipping is $60.00 ...

NOTE: with Per Unit perweightunit Shipping module you will want to set your Maximum Weight Shipped to 5000 and your Tare Rates both to 0:0 ...

Might take a bit of customizing but this could be done ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Is there somewhere where I can learn how to make my own shipping modules? I think that would be easier, because while you do understand what I want, you missed the bit about the clutches:

Chain: $10 per product
    Clutches: $10 per item (item != product)
    Tracks: $20 per item

My dad threw a curve ball into the mix last night, tracks over 84" is $20, while tracks 84" and under are $10.

Plugin Contributions

Usually, you can customize an existing shipping module by cloning it then adding the specific nuances ...

Do you have "triggers" or fields that can be tested for on the Products to determine each kind?

Things like master_categories_id or products_model pattern etc. can be used for these to know which product is which ...

What breaks the pattern on the per item is the Chain being $10 per Product ...

If those happen to be using a specific master_categories_id or ones that can be identified or something to determin how many are in the cart, then a formula can be made for this using the products_weight for all Products charged per Item and the "trigger" to know how many to charge for $10 per Product ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

To some extent yes. The Clutches are made by Louvolite and RollEase. Ricci Tools makes the vertical tracks but I'm not sure who makes the chain. still the thing is tracks 84" and under are $10 shipping but the ones over 84" are $20. I could use the weight field and set to 1, 2, 3 and 4, then using different algorhithms for each value.

Plugin Contributions

You could create your own formula for something along those lines with one of the functions in the shopping_cart class for:
    Code:
      /**
       * Method to calculate the number of items in a cart based on an abitrary property
       * $check_what is the fieldname example: 'products_is_free'
       * $check_value is the value being tested for - default is 1
       * Syntax: $_SESSION['cart']->in_cart_check('product_is_free','1');
       * @param string product field to check
       * @param mixed value to check for
       * @return integer number of items matching restraint
       */
      function in_cart_check($check_what, $check_value='1') {
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Um okay. So we were able to make shipping costs a bit easier. Chain will have free shipping. Small stuff such as clutches and brackets will have $10 shipping (Weight of 1). Big stuff such as tracks will have $20 shipping (Weight of 2). $10 * Weight = Shipping

Problem solved by KISS.

Plugin Contributions

Or, you could put the actual cost of 10 and 20 in the weights and 1 in the Per Unit perweightunit shipping module ...

Advantage here is if you wanted something to have a shipping price of $7.99 each, you could use 7.99 on the shipping weight ...

Either method works, this is just an alternative ...

NOTE: for the Free Shipping be sure to turn on the Free Shipping freeshipper and set that 0 weight means Free Shipping ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

That'll work. Thanks ajeh.

Plugin Contributions

You are most welcome ... good luck with the shop!
    Linda McGrath

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast