Plugin Contributions

Default Digital Downloads

Hello,

I am running Zen Cart 1.3.8a
    http://www.magnumresearchanddevelopment.com

My store is for digital downloads only. I have mostly PDFs and these are setup and working fine. However, I have 1 zip file that I can't get working.

Under Catalog->Option Value Manager I have the following option values set up:

Option Name: Documentation
    Option Value: PDF-English

Option Name: Documentation
    Option Value: ZIP - English

Under Attributes Controller when I view the product for the zip download it shows that it has an invalid filename. The documentation is set to ZIP-English

How do I get this to work?

Also, is there a way to upload files via Zen? I don't want to use a separate FTP client. In other words, if I want to update one of my digital downloads how do I upload it to the server using Zen?

Finally, he Products Quantity was set to 1000 for my files but since they are digital downloads is there a way to set an an unlimited value?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Digital Downloads

try changing

PDF-English to PDF_English

and

ZIP - English to ZIP_English

using an underscore without spaces

Frank

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the feedback but that didn't work. I changed the Zip entry to ZIP_English but I left the PDF entry alone because PDF downloads are working just fine. Any other ideas?

Plugin Contributions

You have probably done this a hundred times, but check all your spelling and urls. I had a similar problem, and it was a comma instead of a period in the url. The only way I found it was to retype the url from scratch. My old eyes would have SWORN that was a period!

Try accessing the file directly to see if it downloads: See where the file is and type that url in your address bar.

Plugin Contributions

Ke,
    You have to name your zip file:

1. english.zip

Important Facts about Download Settings

1. Downloads are NOT Virtual Products so use:
      Product is Virtual: No, Shipping Address Required
    2. Downloads are NOT Always Free Shipping so use:
      Always Free Shipping: No, Normal Shipping Rules
    3. Downloads in an order by itself will never see the checkout_shipping page ... if you do then your Product is setup wrong for Downloads
    4. If not on a Windows server, meaning Linux/Unix, /pub should be 777 and Redirect should be ON
      If you cannot use Redirect ON, ask your hosting site why they cannot follow the symbolic link between the /download and /pub directories
    5. If on a Windows server, /pub does NOT need to be writable/777 as you do not use this directory; and Redirect is OFF as you cannot use Redirect
    6. Download filenames should not use special characters, spaces and the like
    7. Download files should be Zipped for best results and browser compatibility
    8. Download files should be loaded to the /download directory
    9. On the Admin->Catalog->Attributes Controller you should see a green dot next to the filename of the Download itself
    Mark
    Hare Do

Plugin Contributions

Aaaarrggghhhh!!! Thanks. I have 2 folders - one called Download and one called Documents. Their contents are almost identical except the Download directory doesn't have the zip file I was looking for. Needless to say I'll delete that Documents directory. Sorry to waste everyone's time on that one.

I did have 2 other questions in my original post though:

Is there a way to upload files via Zen? I don't want to use a separate FTP client. In other words, if I want to update one of my digital downloads how do I upload it to the server using Zen?

Finally, the Products Quantity was set to 1000 for my files but since they are digital downloads is there a way to set an an unlimited value?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by keithck73 View Post
    Aaaarrggghhhh!!! Thanks. I have 2 folders - one called Download and one called Documents. Their contents are almost identical except the Download directory doesn't have the zip file I was looking for. Needless to say I'll delete that Documents directory. Sorry to waste everyone's time on that one.

I did have 2 other questions in my original post though:

Is there a way to upload files via Zen? I don't want to use a separate FTP client. In other words, if I want to update one of my digital downloads how do I upload it to the server using Zen?

Finally, the Products Quantity was set to 1000 for my files but since they are digital downloads is there a way to set an an unlimited value?
    Ke,
    You are most welcome, glad you noticed your little problem by reading the tutorial.

1. No uploading files through Zen admin panel
    2. Use you www.your_website.com/cpanel
    3. here you have a very fast way to upload and download, etc.
    4. Unlimited value= I do not know for sure
    5. I use 1,000,000
    Mark
    Hare Do

Plugin Contributions

Thanks haredo. I've updated all of those values to 1,000,000. Since this Web site is on a shared system I can't give the user FTP Accesss. I'll have to think of something else. Thanks though.

Plugin Contributions

Ke,
    You are most welcome, glad I could help you..
    Mark
    Hare Do