Page 121 of 226 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 2252
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ozpost shipping module

Quote Originally Posted by jazzah View Post
    I am completely over this, we use several modules for our Zencart, none receive the support that OzPost does. Why should anyone expect that for free. Get over it people, there are many other things that merchants end up paying for to use with/in their Zencart. I am tired of seeing people complain and complain about this change, it is clogging up my inbox. I bet the ones that complain have used Rod's time in the past for free! You cannot expect this module and support for nothing, that is unreasonable and you have had it good for this long. Now is the time to own up and decide if it is worth buying if not go somewhere else, but don't waste our time complaining about it!

Jazzah
    previous and current OzPost user who appreciates the support (even if it sometimes has a sarcastic tone, which I hope with gleaning an income will also improve! lol)
    Agreed with the above but i do believe it should remain free the way it was i am happy to pay for support when required not a ongoing monthly fee. Why dont you just charge out at a hourly rate for support like other people do.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by uniqueliving View Post
    . Why dont you just charge out at a hourly rate for support like other people do.
    If this is directed at me I can give many reasons for this. Firstly, this is working under the assumption that all the coding to be done has already been done and paid for. In other words, I'll only be getting paid hourly by those that *need* my support, and are willing to pay a reasonably rate from now, and in the future.

Secondly, all the work done over the last 3 years (lets say 3000 hours coding) has provided a stable, low maintenence code that only a handful of people have problems installing, and after that it can be pretty much forgotten.
    Low maintence means once installed, few people ever need support.

I reckon if I left the original long broken austpost code as it was, over the last few years I *could* have made a small fortune charging each and every user for 'support' to fix it (well at least til someone else came along and fixed it so that individual support was no longer needed)

Low maintence also means no adjustments required when the postage rates change. *I* do this on the server... the clients (users) always get the latest prices, so I can't charge an hourly rate for that kind of support.. unlike the earlier code (recently re-released) which has many of the rates 'hard coded' which means manual updates for someone.
    I'll wager a lot of people opting to use that copy will ultimately end up paying someone else more than I'm asking just to keep it updated .. what with Austrlia Post changing prices of some thing at least twice in the last 12 months

So, to sum up, it is because I have done such a good job on things that trying to survive with providing hourly support isn't a practical solution. This is a case of people paying for the support and service that they DON'T see.. (until there is a problem of course, then all hell breaks loose with people telling me how much *I've* cost them in lost sales revenue).
    What The!!!

All of the above is still ignoring all the work that has already gone into the project.
    I've no idea how much a contracter will charge to re-create what I've already done, but if the 100 or so active zencart merchants each put in a couple of hundred I'm sure you may get something on par... but even then it will be stagnant... the contracter won't provide free updates and free support. Well, not unless you pay another few hundred each.
    I'll also add at this point that most of the features made to ozpost beyond the 'basic functionality has been added at the request of other people, not for our own use or benefit.

Anyway, what HAS already been done isn't an issue, I had never planned to make money, or even recouperate anything for my time spent ion the project so far... What I would like to do is ensure that I'm in a position where I'm capable of continuing the development and maintenance of both the client code and the servers in the future.. Hourly support doesn't allow this, unless I make the code a bit more unreliable, or difficult to install (Note how ozpost doesn't require you to run sql scripts, unlike most addons?), oh, and I'll need to stop doing price updates on the server too, I could easily charge $60 or more per customer up to twice a year for doing this.

My only other comment is that Australia doesn't have the numbers that would allow me to consider a lesser annual fee (not by any significant amount). Think about it... on the *outside* I am only going to get 30-50 people to subsrcribe.. (Based on current takeup rate)... that's what, $500p/m tops. I typically spend 2 hrs a day with the zencart forums, and 4 or 5 hours per day doing other ozpost related things... seems to me that I'm still grossly underpaying myself
    And alas, these numbers aren't sustainable either, which is why I also need to tap into the market for other ecommerce stores.

Finally, if this was your way of telling me to 'get a job' all I can say is I wish I could... Australia has a big issue with 'ageism' (acknowledged by the changes to centerlink requirements for 55y/os). In the last 9 months I have applied for a little over 200 positions, ranging from fulltime, parttime, casual, contract, and voluntary, from help desk to security consultant. In the last 4 years I have applied for will over 400 jobs, and during that time I put myself through TAFE to 'prove' I had the required skills to potential employers... this cost me over $10k in fees (in spite of being subsidised by the goverment)..... pretty much cleaned out our bank account and still no job, so why *shouldn't* I turn to those that I've been working for (for nothing) for the last few years (zencart merchants) and 'ask' them to help me survive the future, thus ensuring the future of the software that they count on?

From the impression/reaction I have recieved from some people (not necessarlly you) there is a perception that there are a 1000+ people using zencart/ozpost and I stand to be making $100,000 per year from it.. Yeah, I wish....... If there were 1000 of us, I'd only ask $10 per year, and we'd all be happy :-)

Regards
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    If this is directed at me I can give many reasons for this. Firstly, this is working under the assumption that all the coding to be done has already been done and paid for. In other words, I'll only be getting paid hourly by those that *need* my support, and are willing to pay a reasonably rate from now, and in the future.

Secondly, all the work done over the last 3 years (lets say 3000 hours coding) has provided a stable, low maintenence code that only a handful of people have problems installing, and after that it can be pretty much forgotten.
    Low maintence means once installed, few people ever need support.

I reckon if I left the original long broken austpost code as it was, over the last few years I *could* have made a small fortune charging each and every user for 'support' to fix it (well at least til someone else came along and fixed it so that individual support was no longer needed)

Low maintence also means no adjustments required when the postage rates change. *I* do this on the server... the clients (users) always get the latest prices, so I can't charge an hourly rate for that kind of support.. unlike the earlier code (recently re-released) which has many of the rates 'hard coded' which means manual updates for someone.
    I'll wager a lot of people opting to use that copy will ultimately end up paying someone else more than I'm asking just to keep it updated .. what with Austrlia Post changing prices of some thing at least twice in the last 12 months

So, to sum up, it is because I have done such a good job on things that trying to survive with providing hourly support isn't a practical solution. This is a case of people paying for the support and service that they DON'T see.. (until there is a problem of course, then all hell breaks loose with people telling me how much *I've* cost them in lost sales revenue).
    What The!!!

All of the above is still ignoring all the work that has already gone into the project.
    I've no idea how much a contracter will charge to re-create what I've already done, but if the 100 or so active zencart merchants each put in a couple of hundred I'm sure you may get something on par... but even then it will be stagnant... the contracter won't provide free updates and free support. Well, not unless you pay another few hundred each.
    I'll also add at this point that most of the features made to ozpost beyond the 'basic functionality has been added at the request of other people, not for our own use or benefit.

Anyway, what HAS already been done isn't an issue, I had never planned to make money, or even recouperate anything for my time spent ion the project so far... What I would like to do is ensure that I'm in a position where I'm capable of continuing the development and maintenance of both the client code and the servers in the future.. Hourly support doesn't allow this, unless I make the code a bit more unreliable, or difficult to install (Note how ozpost doesn't require you to run sql scripts, unlike most addons?), oh, and I'll need to stop doing price updates on the server too, I could easily charge $60 or more per customer up to twice a year for doing this.

My only other comment is that Australia doesn't have the numbers that would allow me to consider a lesser annual fee (not by any significant amount). Think about it... on the *outside* I am only going to get 30-50 people to subsrcribe.. (Based on current takeup rate)... that's what, $500p/m tops. I typically spend 2 hrs a day with the zencart forums, and 4 or 5 hours per day doing other ozpost related things... seems to me that I'm still grossly underpaying myself
    And alas, these numbers aren't sustainable either, which is why I also need to tap into the market for other ecommerce stores.

Finally, if this was your way of telling me to 'get a job' all I can say is I wish I could... Australia has a big issue with 'ageism' (acknowledged by the changes to centerlink requirements for 55y/os). In the last 9 months I have applied for a little over 200 positions, ranging from fulltime, parttime, casual, contract, and voluntary, from help desk to security consultant. In the last 4 years I have applied for will over 400 jobs, and during that time I put myself through TAFE to 'prove' I had the required skills to potential employers... this cost me over $10k in fees (in spite of being subsidised by the goverment)..... pretty much cleaned out our bank account and still no job, so why *shouldn't* I turn to those that I've been working for (for nothing) for the last few years (zencart merchants) and 'ask' them to help me survive the future, thus ensuring the future of the software that they count on?

From the impression/reaction I have recieved from some people (not necessarlly you) there is a perception that there are a 1000+ people using zencart/ozpost and I stand to be making $100,000 per year from it.. Yeah, I wish....... If there were 1000 of us, I'd only ask $10 per year, and we'd all be happy :-)

Regards
    Rod
    Hi Rod

Understand a bit better where your coming from now as I have been stuck on the centrelink thing for years after a accident left me permanently disable at no fault of my own there was no compo or anything and i basically lost everything i had. Since then i started the shopping carts and gradually grew a bit bigger and opened a retail shop which enabled me to create a job of my own. If i had a job for you you would have it. I,m sure there are more than 30 or 40 zencarts out there, the problem I have is that i have 8 carts and @ $5 per cart it adds up when the carts aren't doing that well with not as many people spending at the moment. I can't afford to spend $40 per month on this.

Plugin Contributions

Also Rod is supplying and maintaining a server to run the module. He is not just supplying code and support.
    I think the best option would have been if you had charged right from the beginning! Then people wouldn't think it is their right to get it for free. Hindsight....

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by robbie269 View Post
    I think the best option would have been if you had charged right from the beginning! Then people wouldn't think it is their right to get it for free. Hindsight....
    The osCommerce users of the module have only ever had the paid version, and yes, you are correct, not one of them has expected a free version to be thier 'right'. Other carts will also only ever know of a paid version.

However, I stress that there never was any plans or intention to charge for the service/support *ever*, so it isn't like this scenario has been caused by a *lack* of foresight... I'd have done many things different over the years if that were the case.. eg, better auditing, better merchant feedback for pending expirations, automated registrations , and so on

If I should happen to come into money from other sources, and still have time available for ongoing support/development I'd revert back to the free system faster than you could say 'refund' - Seriously, I get a LOT more satisfaction form working with and helping people for free than I ever could by charging (even though it may not always appear that way).

Anyway, I agree hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lets hope the system does 'survive', because it would be sad if in a few years the servers (and I) go away and people start saying 'In hindsight, we really should have supported the service, because now it isn't even an option.

Cheers, and thanks for your supportive comments
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

thanks for quick fix and will be doing subscription once the sites are ready.

I will let u know if i find any issues.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: tnt

Hello,

We just setup a TNT account, it said the price checker will take 1 or 2 days to be approved

I am able to login to TNT ONLINE @ http://www.tnt.com/express/en_au/site/home.html with the TNTuser / TNTpassword which redirects to http://www.tntexpress.com.au/interaction/asps/frame.asp,
    but I cant get into my.tnt, admin said they use this but I dont know what it is

Ozpost error log:

Server Returned TNT0.00-1The account number supplied is invalid or not assigned to this login.RPXXX.X02 Regular ParcelREG19.853Registered ParcelRPPi21.203Insured ParcelCOD27.403Cash On DeliveryEXP47.451 Express ParcelEXPi51.751 Insured Express 4.30 2.95 CLARINDA SYDNEY 3

Or other test said

TNT0.00-1The account number supplied is invalid or not assigned to this login.PPxxxx.102 5kg Prepaid Satchel ExpressRPP21.305 Regular ParcelREG24.256Registered ParcelCOD31.806Cash On DeliveryRPPi32.356Insured ParcelEXP57.852 Express ParcelEXPi68.902 Insured Express 11.05 2.95 EAST WICKEPIN SYDNEY 1084

We used the right login info....

Plugin Contributions

Rod, I brought this up once before, but think I need the hack:

ego.com.au shows 0 days delivery for all but the most remote areas of OZ, so where can I change the 0 to always be 1?

I realise this isn't the optimum approach, but if it is a server thing, I would rather at least a human figure so people opt for this service.

It leaves the other services for dead and I want to encourage it! (I mean with my customers - suppliers probably already know how much easier it is to book, pay for and use. And usually cheaper...)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: tnt

Quote Originally Posted by vandiermen View Post
    Hello,

We just setup a TNT account, it said the price checker will take 1 or 2 days to be approved

I am able to login to TNT ONLINE @ http://www.tnt.com/express/en_au/site/home.html with the TNTuser / TNTpassword which redirects to http://www.tntexpress.com.au/interaction/asps/frame.asp,
    but I cant get into my.tnt, admin said they use this but I dont know what it is

Ozpost error log:

Server Returned TNT0.00-1The account number supplied is invalid or not assigned to this login.

Or other test said

TNT0.00-1The account number supplied is invalid or not assigned to this login.
    We used the right login info....
    The TNT site is a nigtmare to navigate - too many different logons for various services.

First and most important, it needs a valid TNT account for the 'RTT' service. The error messages are suggesting that this is the problem, the account itself is valid, but NOT for this particular service.

I can tell the username/password provided were correct because these are the first things checked (if incorrect we are informed of this before it procedes to check the account number), so what we have are valid user credentials but not for the service being requested.

We require the "RTT" or 'Rated Transit Times' service, this needs to be created at 'TNT Online' and it requires a phone call to the CIT
    Helpdesk on 1300 851 131 for the service be enabled for the account.

For some strange reason it doesn't seem possible for TNT to set up a user account, a TNT online account AND the RTT service at the same time, but it really is three distinctly separate accounts that need setting.

Hope this helps?
    Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tpeck View Post
    Rod, I brought this up once before, but think I need the hack:

ego.com.au shows 0 days delivery for all but the most remote areas of OZ, so where can I change the 0 to always be 1?

I realise this isn't the optimum approach, but if it is a server thing,
    Yoiks, I thought I'd fixed that @ the server *ages* ago. I'll take another look into it ASAP (next day or two at most )

Quote Originally Posted by tpeck View Post
    It leaves the other services for dead and I want to encourage it! (I mean with my customers - suppliers probably already know how much easier it is to book, pay for and use. And usually cheaper...)
    I've noticed their (e-go.com.au) prices are always considerably cheaper than the competition, but until a few weeks ago I'd not even heard of them.It's good to find more than one person finds 'em useful.

Cheers
    Rod