Insurance will only appear if the items are over $100

Cheers
    rod
    i take it this is because people dont want to insure something under $100

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ozpost shipping module

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    i take it this is because people dont want to insure something under $100
    It's because Australia Post won't offer insurance for anything less.

It is more practical to use registered post instead (which gives up to $100 insurance by default).

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod

I'm asking a lot and I may be dreaming but I just have a couple of questions about this mod. My store mainly has small products (craft supplies) and I mainly use pre-paid satchels and tiny padded bags to send my goods. Is there a way that this mod can work on just weight rather than the size of each product too? At the moment I have the weight displaying in the shopping cart then I need the customer to choose <500g or >500g during checkout but it doesn't always work out correct... they see the cheaper price and go with that.

In most cases everything the customer orders will fit in the satchels but I do have 12" x 12" paper that has to go in pizza boxes. Am I dreaming by hoping that if they put the paper in the cart the mod will magically know and charge them the pizza box price instead of the satchel?

I have been thinking this mod over for about 5 months now but every time I get The Castle quotes going over in my head because I think I might be asking too much and it can't be done. "She wants how much? Nah.... tell her she's dreamin'"

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by amyleew View Post
    Is there a way that this mod can work on just weight rather than the size of each product too?
    I would have to ask Why? The entire purpose/point of using product dimensions is to improve accuracy and allow the module to determine whether any given package can be classed as a letter, etc.

With only the weight to go by the module is unable to make this determination.

At the moment I have the weight displaying in the shopping cart then I need the customer to choose <500g or >500g during checkout but it doesn't always work out correct... they see the cheaper price and go with that.
    Wouldn't you?

In most cases everything the customer orders will fit in the satchels but I do have 12" x 12" paper that has to go in pizza boxes. Am I dreaming by hoping that if they put the paper in the cart the mod will magically know and charge them the pizza box price instead of the satchel?
    Although there is no magic involved, the ozpost module will determine the possible shipping methods based on the both weight and size. It won't show (for example) a 500gm prepaid satchel if the items in the cart weigh over 500gm - Nor will it show them if the items evaluate as being too large to fit.

On the other hand you may have an item that is less than 500gm, that is too large for for the 500gm satchels, but small enough to fit a 3kg satchel, in which case the module will quote for the 3kg satchel as well as regular parcel rates (if enabled).

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to both write and support this module.

I've got the version of your module up and running on a full patched Zen Cart 1.3.8a site which I'm currently testing.

I've been though this thread a couple of times to solve a couple of problems which I first ran into (cURL and when having a blonde moment, the kgs vs gms in regards to weight). However I can't seem to find an answer to my current problem, which I hope you might be able to assist with.

The client I'm setting up this site for wants to sell Gift Certificates. The gift certificate is set up as per the FAQ page, which means that "Always Free Shipping" is set to "No, Normal Shipping Rules", it has 0 weight and 0 for dimensions (for testing purposes, the default dimensions in the ozpost module are set to 1,1,1). Yes, the item price is set to $0, and a drop down (set by attributes) specifices the value.

Now, when the item is in the shopping cart by itself, it's listed as Free Shipping. When there is more than 1 item in the cart, in the testing case a 100gms ball of wool, it's wanting to package it in a 3kgs satchel. The ball of wool by itself in the cart will only require a 500gms satchel.

I've been looking at this problem for most of the afternoon and this evening, however I just can't seem to find the answer, I guess other than suggesting that Gift Certificates be purchased in a separate order by themselves.

I put the module in to debug mode and this is what it put out (yes tare percentage is set to 0%, we've set a 100g ball of wool to weight 105g (back end is configured in kgs, so 105g = 0.105).

1 item:

2 items (one with free shipping):

If you couple please let me know the best way to solve this issue, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by thisismywww View Post
    If you could please let me know the best way to solve this issue, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
    Easy to solve. Go to your gift voucher product(s) and give them a weight of 0.001

The problem (for you, and anyone else that is interested) is that the ozpost module isn't (and never has been) made 'aware' that gift vouchers (and other virtual products) are a special case, and need to be excluded from any shipping calculations.
    One of the things the ozpost module does (some will argue that this isn't the right thing to do) is ensure all products have a size and weight, and if none are given then the module assigns values. In the case of weights, a value of '0' is simply converted to a value of '1' - and in your case, since you are using 'Kgs' as your scaling factor this is being interepted as 1kg. Therefore, too heavy for the 500gm satchels.

Incidently, the comment I left myself in the code would indicate that I assumed the '1' would be 1gm - So I guess another way of solving your problem would be to change your weight factor to gms instead of kgs. An extra gram isn't going to make any significant effect on postage costs.

My 'rule of thumb' in deciding whether to use Kgs or gms is, if most of the items in the store weigh less than 1kg then use gms. If most of the items in the store weigh more than 1kg, then use Kgs.
    If you have roughly the same number of each... toss a coin :-)

Cheers
    Rod
    Last edited by RodG; 18 Feb 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Plugin Contributions

For those of you that have asked for 'ozpost' to support 5kg Express parcels, the server now supports this method.

If you don't want to wait for the next ozpost release to take advantage of this, you can enable it yourself by editing:
    /includes/modules/shipping/ozpost.php, then locate the line that reads:

. if ((in_array("Prepaid Express Satchel", $this->allowed_methods)) && (( $id == "PPSE5" ) || ( $id == "PPSE3" )))

and change it to:

if ((in_array("Prepaid Express Satchel", $this->allowed_methods)) && (( $id == "PPSE5" ) || ( $id == "PPSE3" ) || ( $id == "PPSE5K" )))

Save your changes. That's it.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Rod,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I did test the gift certificates today with success (as you knew would happen ).

Also, thanks for providing the update in regards to the 5kg satchel. I've updated the module and will test it on the test site.

Once again thank you (three times in one post ),

Daniel

Dear Rod,

I am having a little bit of a blonde pregnant moment with my fully patched and up to date zen and this mod, I keep getting a debugging error on top of my postage quotes - see Pic.

I feel I have done everything suggested in this thread to get it to work and it still doesn't, can you please advise. I am at the point of almost going back to the archived Austpost mod.

Thanks in Advance
    Leigh

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbonista View Post
    I keep getting a debugging error on top of my postage quotes - see Pic.
    <snip>
    I feel I have done everything suggested in this thread to get it to work and it still doesn't, can you please advise.
    I'm not exactly sure what you want advice on. The fact that you are seeing the debug messages, or the fact that with the example you provided you wasn't able to get any valid quotes.

To get rid of the debug messages, go to admin/shipping/ozpost and set 'debug' to 'off'.

To solve the problem of not obtaining a valid quote on the example you gave, it seems that this is because your item has an invalid weight (probably zero).

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbonista View Post
    I am at the point of almost going back to the archived Austpost mod.
    Why would you even consider going back to an unsupported module that no longer provides valid quotes?

Cheers
    Rod