Page 5 of 226 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ozpost shipping module

Quote Originally Posted by matthewrossser View Post
    Hi There,

Great work on the shipping module !!

I have it installed & operational.

The items in my shop are quite large & I am having problems if shipping more than 1 item as the combined total of all items exceeds the OzPost maximium. It seems it doesn't see the items as being seperate boxes and adds ALL together for 1 global package.
    I can not seem to find any facility in your Module or Zencart to split the shipping of the items to be indiviually boxed, packaged.

Using latest Zen & also your module.

Is there a script hack to enable this or is it a core rewrite for the next version ?

Regards
    Matt
    This particular module currently has no means of splitting parcels that exceed to 20kg limit.

I do plan on re-adding this functionality in a later update, but I can't give an estimate of when this will be.

Until I do so, you might want to consider using the older 'AustPost Improved' module (which honours the zen-cart 'maximum shipping weight' setting and provides a quote on multiple parcels.

The primary reason for wanting to redo this part of the code in 'ozpost' is because the zen-cart method used in the AustPost Improved module has no means of taking the parcel size into consideration, which depending on the products size/weight ratio would often cause significant quotation errors (at best), and would often divide parcels in impossible ways (at worst).

In other words, even though the AustPost Improved module may be better for your needs at the moment, it does come with an element of risk that you will need to closely monitor for such errors.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi again,
    While waiting for the updated OzPost module, my AustPost improved is giving me grief...
    I have set up products with weights in grams and dimensions in cm.

If I have one product in my cart, the shipping estimate is fine, but if I have 2 or more, it goes completely out the door.
    For example, I have a product which weighs 30gms and is 5cmx5cmx2cm. and another similar product. I choose 2 of both of them and then do a quote. This is what I get back:
    Estimate Shipping Costs
    Total Items: 4 Weight: 140gms Amount: $17.60 Dims: 11.00x8.50x1.02 Boxes: 43

Available Shipping Methods Rates
    4 $5.50 (Pre-paid satchel) - correct
    1 $7.70 (Express post satchel) - correct
    1 $180.60 - Parcel post
    2 $181.80 - Insured parcel post
    2 $183.35 - registered parcel post
    1 $331.10 - express parcel post

What crazy thing have I done? Anybody got an idea?
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Nerida.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your help.
    I have actually discovered that the items are not going over the 20kg weight. They are less than 20kg.
    It seems to be the dimesions that are causing the error.The maximum girth I believe is 140cm... width + height not to exceed 140cm.My packages are bulky and are fine if done individually(less than 140cm). However if I select 2 packages then they exceed the 140cm MAX even though they are 2 seperate articles it calls up the Error.
    Seems it is not able to differentiate between multiple packages ?

Cheers
    Matt

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by neridal View Post
    If I have one product in my cart, the shipping estimate is fine, but if I have 2 or more, it goes completely out the door.
    <snip>
    Weight 140gms
    I know this *says* grams, but all I can tell from the info you have given is that it is 140 somethings... I'm guessing 140 kgs.

Boxes: 43
    You haven't indicated what your maximum shipping weight is set to either, I'm going to guess that you haven't set this, which means it is at the default of '3'

You probably haven't changed the tare weight either, which I think defaults to 10% of the product weight, so what we have is:

product weight + tare weight = 140kg

Therefore product weight = 126kg
    Max shipping weight = 3 kg

With these numbers you end up being quoted for

126/3 = ~42 boxes @ 3kgs each (give or take a box since I'm only guestimating and not considering any rounding)

What crazy thing have I done? Anybody got an idea?
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Nerida.
    Check your products weights & tare weights, and then ensure that the Kgs/gms toggle in the Austpost module matches whatever weight scale you are using.

The 'gms' that you see displayed is a red herring. That is purely a textual/display thing. You can change that text to carets, jins, mites or scruples if you wish and it won't make any difference to the actual calculations.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,

The maximum girth I believe is 140cm... width + height not to exceed 140cm.
    For the sake of correctness, the girth is actually calculated as
    (2 x width) + (2 x height).

My packages are bulky and are fine if done individually(less than 140cm). However if I select 2 packages then they exceed the 140cm MAX even though they are 2 seperate
    articles it calls up the Error.
    Seems it is not able to differentiate between multiple packages ?
    Correct. The splitting of parcels based on dimension (as used in the AustPost module) has caused a few issues with a number of merchants because it was splitting parcels in impossible ways. This is why I haven't replicated the code in the new module.

I do have several ideas how to make this work 'properly' (or at least more realistically) with the new module, but before diving in to that aspect of things I need to ensure that the server side code is performing accurately and reliably.

The ozpost module is taking a significantly different approach than the older modules, which ended up evolving into mish-mash of trying to calculate some quotes on its own and/or passing other quotes off to either the austpost.vcsweb server and/or edeliver servers, often making several different requests for the same parcel to cater for several different possible shipping methods.
    The code was turning into a nightmare to read and maintain.

The all new ozpost code has separated the elements so that the server provides quotes for all valid shipping methods in a single request based on the weights, dimensions, destination and value of any given parcel.

The client code then eliminates the method(s) that have been disabled by the merchant.

The next stage of development will be to update the client code to do any required parcel splitting based on weights and/or dimensions of the items in the cart (with no concern in regards to actually obtaining a the quotes).

This way, with the client doing nothing nothing more than handling the parcel details it would/should be possible to calculate on the contents of a shopping cart using different sized parcels.

For example:

If you have two products in the cart, one weighing 19 kgs and the other weight 2kgs, the *current* methods will (assuming a 20kg limit) provide a quote of two parcels each weighing 11.5kgs (which clearly isn't going to be correct). With the new format is should be possible to quote this shopping cart correctly, with one parcel weighing 19kgs, and the other being able to fit into a 3kg satchel (for example).

It will/should also be possible to correctly split the shopping cart correctly by dimensions this way too.

As I said though, I first need to get the basic client/server code fully debugged first (especially the server side), which is also why the client side code is still somewhat 'minimal'.

Time is my biggest enemy though.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hey thanks Rod,
    I have checked the settings and I have
    Maximum Package Weight you will ship - 50
    Package Tare Small to Medium - added percentage:weight 0:40
    Larger packages - added packaging percentage:weight 0:2000
    I have the Aust Post toggle set the gms.

I'm going to go back and double check everything again.

Cheers,
    Nerida.

Plugin Contributions

I checked it again and the max box size was set to 50, so I guess in grams as I am using that unit of weight measure, so I changed it to 5000 and I now get the correct estimates.
    Cheers,
    Nerida.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod

As I am currently using AusPost Improved and Request For Quote shipping, and have only just discovered the new OzPost, I may be premature in asking this, however.

With oversized items or parcels, (ie Length > 100 or girth > 140), upon selecting Auspost as the shipping method, I get a white screen with the error message:

The delivery rate for this option cannot be determined at this time. If you prefer to use this option as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

As the only recourse to exiting this screen is to use the browser Back button, I am wondering whether provision has been made in OzPost (or can be made in AusPost) to disqualify itself from quoting with an inbox message (eg "Parcel/Item too large or heavy for this shipping method. Please select another shipping method or contact the store owner."). This would prompt the user to select the Request For Quote or other shipping method, or to re-constitute their order as more managable parcels.

TIA

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dw08gm View Post
    Hi Rod
    As I am currently using AusPost Improved and Request For Quote shipping, and have only just discovered the new OzPost,
    The new ozpost module still has several issues that need resolving. I'm actually working on them today and hopefully will all be resolved b4 I quit for the night.

I may be premature in asking this, however.

With oversized items or parcels, (ie Length > 100 or girth > 140), upon selecting Auspost as the shipping method, I get a white screen with the error message:

The delivery rate for this option cannot be determined at this time. If you prefer to use this option as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.
    As the only recourse to exiting this screen is to use the browser Back button,
    That's odd (that the only recourse is to hit the back button), I've no idea why you are getting that, as far as I know the rest of us can still move forward, and even check out (with a shipping cost of zero).
    Whatever the cause/reason I'm not going to worry about it now.

I am wondering whether provision has been made in OzPost (or can be made in AusPost) to disqualify itself from quoting with an inbox message (eg "Parcel/Item too large or heavy for this shipping method. Please select another shipping method or contact the store owner."). This would prompt the user to select the Request For Quote or other shipping method, or to re-constitute their order as more managable parcels.
    TIA
    The Austpost module does (or should) already do that, but you do of course need another shipping method that could be used, otherwise, as I said, it will let people check out using a zero cost for shipping.

As for the ozpost module, I have *just* added a couple of 'fixed price' charge settings (one for overseas, one for Aust) that will/could be used if a normal quote can't be obtained (for any reason), and my next step is to add a check so that if these values are set to zero the module will behave as though it wasn't there at all.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod

I look forward to your ammendments.

Whereabouts in your code is parcel size determined.

The reason for the asking is that I am currently toying (in spreadsheet fashion) with ways to determine parcel sizes based on maximum dimensions rather than weight, especially where an order may require more than one parcel whose total order weight is less than 20kg.

Is AusPost or OzPost able to handle multiple parcels in this regard?

TIA

Page 5 of 226 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast