Page 6 of 226 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ozpost shipping module

Quote Originally Posted by dw08gm View Post
    Hi Rod

I look forward to your ammendments.
    Twas uploaded about 5mins ago. It'll take a day or two before the zencart team approve and make it available.

Whereabouts in your code is parcel size determined.
    Look at the code.

The reason for the asking is that I am currently toying (in spreadsheet fashion) with ways to determine parcel sizes based on maximum dimensions rather than weight,
    I'm confused. Is there any other way?
    How can parcel dimensions ever be determined by weight?

[QUOTE=dw08gm;718458]
    especially where an order may require more than one parcel whose total order weight is less than 20kg.
    /QUOTE]

I think you are another of us that has been looking for the holy grail of shipping calculations.

I suggest you read the 'cubing.txt' file (supplied with both the AustPost and ozpost modules) for some of the issues surrounding this quest.

Is AusPost or OzPost able to handle multiple parcels in this regard?
    TIA
    The AustPost module handles weight splitting of parcels (multiple parcels) by virtue of the the zencart code itself.
    It also has it's own parcel splitting based on dimensions. Neither method solves the problem of splitting any given parcel in 'impossible' ways.

Currently the ozpost module makes no attempt to split parcels either by weight, or by dimension. The *practical* solution to this issue would be to use a courier service rather than Australia Post for such deliveries.

I *do* have some plans and ideas for ways to have parcel splitting for the ozpost module, but I've no idea how successful It is going to be (or when I'm going to find time to do it). If all else fails I am even considering adding one (or more) courier costings to the server code (which may be the best solution anyway).

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Twas uploaded about 5mins ago. It'll take a day or two before the zencart team approve and make it available.
    ...waiting for the new file to pass muster.
    I'm confused. Is there any other way?
    How can parcel dimensions ever be determined by weight?

I think you are another of us that has been looking for the holy grail of shipping calculations.
    Not so much a holy grail, but a method to exclude certain items from the AustPost/OzPost module. As most of my products weigh much less than 20kg, but some products exceed or approach the size limits of AusPost, the size constraints will govern where a customer orders one or more large sized products with several smaller items.

The AustPost module handles weight splitting of parcels (multiple parcels) by virtue of the the zencart code itself.
    It also has it's own parcel splitting based on dimensions. Neither method solves the problem of splitting any given parcel in 'impossible' ways.

Currently the ozpost module makes no attempt to split parcels either by weight, or by dimension. The *practical* solution to this issue would be to use a courier service rather than Australia Post for such deliveries.

I *do* have some plans and ideas for ways to have parcel splitting for the ozpost module, but I've no idea how successful It is going to be (or when I'm going to find time to do it). If all else fails I am even considering adding one (or more) courier costings to the server code (which may be the best solution anyway).

Cheers
    Rod
    Do your plans include placing a "always ship separately" and/or "force shipping quote" checkboxes
    in the vicinity of the dimension (LxWxH) input boxes on the add-product pages.
    By allowing the seller to pre-determine the shipping method, this would help alleviate problems of parcels becoming oversize, especially where certain items in an order approach (say 70% or more) the threshold dimensions or weight set by the carrier.

Plugin Contributions

Do your plans include placing a "always ship separately" and/or "force shipping quote" checkboxes
    in the vicinity of the dimension (LxWxH) input boxes on the add-product pages.
    By allowing the seller to pre-determine the shipping method, this would help alleviate problems of parcels becoming oversize, especially where certain items in an order approach (say 70% or more) the threshold dimensions or weight set by the carrier.
    No. Mainly on account of the fact that this would best be achieved with a separate/independent module.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Fortunately or unfortunately, it would appear that the separate module would require interaction with the AustPost or OzPost module.

Plugin Contributions

Fortunately or unfortunately, it would appear that the separate module would require interaction with the AustPost or OzPost module.
    Methinks you may need a lesson or three on OOP (Object orientated programming). These modules, like all other shipping modules, (and almost everything else relating to zencart) can be enabled/disabled and/or used in conjunction with any other module simply by using the the precoded methods/functions (or whatever else you wish to call them).

What I'm saying here is that it will require no more (and no less) 'interaction' than (say) the way the postage modules interact with zencart itself, or the way zencart manages to take the results from the postage modules and uses those results for checkout processing, etc.

At *most* the AustPost/ozpost module(s) will require one additional line to be added, and that would be a check to see if any given item in the cart needs to be excluded from the Austpost/ozpost processing, but even this could be avoided by having the new module preprocess the shopping cart items (which it will need to do anyway) and removing them from the datastream before the module is called, and that is assuming the module needs to still be called anyway (in addition to the 'post separately' items.

In the *simplest* case, the new module will only need do a check to see if the 'special delivery' flag is set, and if so, set the variable to disable the AustPost module(s) for that particular shopping cart.

Does that all make sense to you?

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

I have a zencart and installed Aust Postmodule and turned on options for:
    parcel
    500gm Satchels
    3kg Satchels
    500gm Express Satchels
    3kg Express Satchels

I can't get the freight calculator or the user Shipping selection options in cart to show the 500gm sachels as an option when a product is purchased that falls into the 500 gm satchel weight ....

Any ideas what may be incorrectly configured?

These items are in an attribute drop down in the shop - there are eg 3 attribute options for the product - i checked and each has it's own weight in the attributes set.

Re below: estimated shipping screenshot lists shipping options but should show the 500 gm satchel as option as the item weighs 0.045kgs

Example:
    -------------------------------------
    Estimate Shipping Costs
    Total Items: 1 Weight: 0.045kgs Amount: $0.75
    ----------------
    Available Shipping Methods Rates
    -------------------
    parcel post: ( 1 ) $6.70

prepaid satchel 3kg ( 4) $12.10
    express satchel 3kg( 1 ) $13.40

Fastways Courier (Delivery to 4151 - next days Delivery
    (Estimated Delivery Time)
    1 boxes 0.045kg(s) (incl $2.50 handling) ) $9.70
    Store Pickup (Walk In) $0.00

------------------------

??
    Many thanks, thank you..I know it must be staring me in the face......
    Sandy
    Brisbane

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ozmosaics View Post
    I can't get the freight calculator or the user Shipping selection options in cart to show the 500gm sachels as an option when a product is purchased that falls into the 500 gm satchel weight ....

Any ideas what may be incorrectly configured?
    Parcel dimensions?

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,
    You are my hero. I trolled for a long time in this forum thread and you are a very patient person (sorry am I assuming too much here?). Maybe that should be patient beyond all endurance. Reading all the posts made me realise how one should rethink the problem. You made me see the light quite a few times in the way I approach finding a solution.

That parcel size config - I tried so many things there (don't ask) but again, don't ask me why but your answer made be get a cup of tea and think, Sandy it's there in front of you....

I too the set size out altogether and Presto. all satchels/options are there . thank you.

I wish my son was here, he would have spotted it, he analyses very well, whey did he go to Canberra? LOL. Rod, thank you so much. I am very happy and thanks for the lesson in you know what.
    cheers and if it's not too personal, a big hug too.
    you are a great teacher

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,
    You are my hero. I trolled for a long time in this forum thread and you are a very patient person (sorry am I assuming too much here?).
    Probably (assuming too much)

Maybe that should be patient beyond all endurance.
    I'm patient in as much as I don't expect everyone to read every message in every thread in order to find an answer to their particular problem.

I'm not as patient in those odd times when people would prefer to argue rather than learn.

Reading all the posts made me realise how one should rethink the problem. You made me see the light quite a few times in the way I approach finding a solution.
    You did that admirably, simply by asking what it could be that *you* were overlooking or doing wrong, as opposed to those that prefer to 'blame' the software.

That parcel size config - I tried so many things there (don't ask) but again, don't ask me why but your answer made be get a cup of tea and think, Sandy it's there in front of you....

I too the set size out altogether and Presto. all satchels/options are there . thank you.
    Do keep in mind that the size checks are there for a good reason. Those 500gm satchels tend to be a fair bit smaller than people realise, and the last thing a merchant needs is to have the satchels listed as a viable shipping method, only to find that their products won't fit.

cheers and if it's not too personal, a big hug too.
    I like hugs. It does tend to make my wife a bit jealous though
    you are a great teacher

I shall pass this on to my lecturers' (I'm currently studying Cert IV Training and assessment). It may get me out of an assignment
    <grin>

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

I armed and dangerous with a mouse...and a glass of wine! My computer shudders!

.... Thanks again, entertainment and education! I hope, guess, assume, (LOL) that you realise how much these programs are appreciated and the wisdom, advice and effort given by many - is invaluable!

As we share we grow, as we learn we share - hopefully everybody is a winner - I teach -often swapping roles of mentor and mentoree, much to my satisfaction - it's stimulating.

I am sure more questions will be forthcoming.....Don't blame me, after being stuck to the screen all day and night - I become unstuck!

I am beginning to feel very happy with Zen Cart - thank you developers and members who help out!

What a generous gift to us all! It's going to be a red letter day when I launch my web shop - I am sure everyone feels like that and knows the frustrations of feeling helpless sometimes and so badly wanting everything to work - we are spoilt here having such fantastic advice!

Big cheers for the helpers! Now, where was I...product data entry...groan... those tricky atttributes...gotta love 'em. I think the attributes on zen cart rock! Sorry, I think these smilies are cute....
    Cheers, Sandy - OzMosaics - wip site: www.ozmosaics.com slowly getting there.......visit at own risk of cracking up, shop is wip - but be warned -you may get addicted to mosaics LOL! Your trash might be my treasure.......in fact don't look at the my site shop yet, look next week when it's looking good....I just have the bare bones in at the moment...the artyfarty stuff is about to happen.....I am still in "what will that do?" mode....
    Good luck with your assignment!
    Last edited by ozmosaics; 23 Apr 2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling error

Page 6 of 226 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast