Plugin Contributions

application error Customer initial registration problem

I seem to have done something during set-up that may have affected the initial customer registration on my site. I have just spent a few hours trying to figure this out and am very frustrated.

I am running on a remote server/system (v1.3.8a) and have made a few changes over the past week, testing results all along the way.
    Last night I modified the text on the email response letter in the create_account.php to read:

define('EMAIL_TEXT', 'With your account, you can now take part in the <strong>various services</strong> we have to offer you. Some of these services include:' . "\n\n" . '<li><strong>Permanent Cart</strong> - Any products added to your online cart remain there until you remove them, or check them out.' . "\n\n" . '<li><strong>Order History</strong> - View your history of purchases that you have made with us.' . "\n\n" . '<li><strong>Products Reviews</strong> - Share your opinions on products with our other customers.' . "\n\n".'<li><strong>Address Book</strong> - We can deliver your products to another address other than yours! This is perfect to send birthday, holiday or other gifts direct to the person being gifted.' . "\n\n" );

When I went to run a registration test entry and hit submit the page goes blank and no registration takes place.

I read somewhere that I may have made a mistake in modifying the file.
    Does anyone recognize an issue in the above text ? HELP !

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer initial registration problem

What are you using as your editor?
    Check that file for any spaces or added blank lines at the end after

?>
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kobra.

Well there was a line after the ?> but i deleted it and no change.

Not using an editor. Should I be?
    Just changing words in the file leaving brackets and such intact - or thought I was.

Any other thoughts?

Plugin Contributions

Not using an editor. Should I be?
    Just changing words in the file leaving brackets and such intact - or thought I was.
    You are using something to "Change" the words - - If you do not term this as an editor then what would your term it as?

Just state what you are using...and yes the recommended pratice is to FTP the file to be altered to your local, open it in a "Plain Text Editor" make you edits, save and FTP it back to the server - - -

BUT normally edited files are placed in an override folder named for your template
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=230
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=143
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

To answer you as best I can about the editor:
    I was doing most changes in the file system of my host. It's a unix and is saving in UTF-8 encoding according to the screen.

I did "cut and paste" some in MSWord, but just went in and removed that item in the (host) "editor" I am using. Still not working.

Store is dead as I can't get past "registration page" either to "register" or to "buy".

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

If the faults started to appear AFTER you edited files, then (as Kobra says) the problem is most likely with the program you are using to perform those edits.

NEVER use MS-Anything to do edits. That's a sure-fire way to wreck a zc site!

You should use CRIMSON EDITOR or NOTEPAD++ (or other strictly text editor) on your LOCAL machine. If you want to change a file, then FTP the file to your local drive; back up the original on the server; edit the local copy using the proper tools; then FTP the edited file to the server. You should be using a custom template, so edited core files get put into their relevant custom folder (where appropriate).

TEST the functionality of the webshop that relies on the edited file, and if it works OK, then you can assume you've not fouled things up.

If the function fails, then revert to the default file (the one you backed up) while you investigate your edited version for errors.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Also... one of the most important features of ZC is this idea of a CUSTOM template.

Used correctly, it is a great diagnostic test, because if your CUSTOM template appears to be fouling up the site, switch back to the CLASSIC template (which you should never tamper with). If this "clears" the problem, then you can be pretty sure the problems lie with customized template/language files (and in a few cases, other over-rides).

If the problem persists when reverting to the CLASSIC template, then you need to widen your investigation, which may include core file analysis and/or database or server configuration issues.