Plugin Contributions

help question htaccess files help please

[FONT=Verdana]After installing Zen cart I am going through the STEPS IN SECURING YOUR ZEN CART STORE[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]I am a little confused about section 8 Using htaccess folders to protect against snooping.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]I have read it to say that files with only index.html in would be better if these all had htaccess files in with the suggested code..[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Am I going wrong here, this is a fresh install with no added folders, do I need to add to what is already there and how as I don't want to start adding files in places there is not any need for.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Please can someone advise about this and if I add new folders do these need both or one of these files in to protect then also.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]I am not using my direct domain at present will if I do have to use additional index.html and htaccess folders, will these have to be altered one the domain is directed at the new site?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Cheers[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Paul[/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: htaccess files help please

A default install has these in place as long as one does not remove them Check the area about securing your site
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

If you open up one of those index.html files, you'll see they are essentially empty:

Code:
    <html>
      <head>
        <title></title>
        <meta content="">
        <style></style>
      </head>
      <body></body>
    </html>
    An .htaccess file will typically contain:

Code:
    <Files *.php>
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
    </Files>
    In a standard install, these will be included automatically, and if you later "move" your webshop to another server, these little files go with it and don't (generally) need changing. Sometimes, servers are set up differently, and .htaccess can be problematic - particularly on windows servers.

Host on a linux box, and ZC is as rubust as fort knox.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: htaccess files help please

Hi,

Thanks for replies, much apreciated.

You said that all is in place for install,which is all good so no probs.

So when on the (Securing your zen cart store FAQ section) Folder purposes, It says about adding htaccess if site supports it, should I do this if I can and which on the previous section of the 2 (Use htaccess files to protect against unwanted snooping) would need to be placed within this file.

You help would be much appreciated

thanks
    Paul
    Last edited by pasb; 5 Apr 2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typos

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: htaccess files help please

[FONT=Verdana]Hi,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]re previous comment also[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]this is what I am reffering to[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=73[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Basically, is what I am thinking correct?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]In the How to secure your Zen cart store it states if you can use htaccess files you should use something like the 2 snippets of text shown.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]You said all is done on the fresh install, but the additional precautions like this is confusing me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]is there a need to add more htaccess like suggested, if so is that all I need to place in the file called htaccess.txt and place this where there are index files to make it more secure?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Do I place htaccess folders where there are not any to add security?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Please help, all I want to know is do I don't I and how, then I will be finished, anyone I would be grateful.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]regards[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Paul[/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

You should:

1. Rename the Zen Cart admin folder via FTP

2. Within the admin/includes/configure.php file change the entries for /admin/ to /new-name/ (3 of them)

3. After you have done that use the Password or Directory Protection feature in your Web Hosting control panel (cPanel, Plesk, Ensim etc.) to protect the newly renamed 'admin' folder with a User Name and Password. This feature will create the .htaccess protection of that folder for you.

4. This will give you a double login to your Zen Cart control panel.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Hi, thanks for your reply,

Is the admin folder the only one that needs the htaccess as the guide seems to to give the idea that its more?

regards
    Paul

Plugin Contributions

There are various types of .htaccess protection.

Zen Cart comes pre-equipped with .htaccess files in folders where you want to prevent people from outside of your site directly accessing files in those folders.

What I am referring to is using .htaccess to password protect your 'admin' folder.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

thanks for reply,

I see various parts have been covered before,i may just be dense today but making the correct choices is important.

Is there a list of the folders that I should place the htaccess in as I don't understand which ones this should be in, I understand that Zen cart comes with htaccess, but I am following the How to secure your Zen cart Store Guide and it does not seem to have a direct list of folders that I need to place htaccess in if Available to do so.

I need some guidance regarding this mainly

thanks
    paul

Plugin Contributions

I agree...when trying to follow the steps for securing your Zen Cart site, the step talking about using .htaccess is VERY confusing to what we are suppose to do.

I understand there are .htaccess files already in place from the install. BUT do we have to add more code to them? or place more of these .htaccess files where there is an index.html file? if so, what folders? if this isn't the case because the install has all of this covered then what is it that we are suppose be taking from this section of instruction.

thanks for the help