Plugin Contributions

red flag Fantastico install shows no CSS nor Admin

I'm making a new install of Zen Cart, using the hosting provider's Fantastico, ZenCart ver 1.3.8a. I've made a ZenCart site before so I am familiar with creating a new site, overrides, etc. But, I'm stuck at the initial install. After auto install, I enter my url, and the main page text displays on a white background, but as if the CSS is not loading. Also, if I add /admin to navigate to the admin interface I get a 404 error. I have read the FAQs and POST, I have changed permissions to 777 where indicated, I've check 'most' subdirectories to make sure there are no -0- byte files from a bad install, I've renamed .httaccess to .httaccess_off to make sure its not that. I'm stuck. I'm developing on a new site that has not re-directed the DSN yet (will do that when completed), along side a JOOMLA installation, but the ZC is in its own subdirectory. (Joomla has the VirtueMart addon but does not handle ACL so I'm making a separate store to keep my 'members' separate from my 'shoppers'. I've name the subdirectory store (should it be catalogue??). Due to no DSN the path to my site is: http://174.132.165.94/~kreweofc/store/ .
    If someone will direct me where to read further, I'll be glad to do it.
    thanks,
    Dana
    Dana (Hambone)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Fantastico install shows no CSS nor Admin

I am not a fan of using these auto installers for real sites, they are fine for testing code ... but I prefer to make sure that I have everything on both my computer and server and have it up to date ...

Personally, I would get a clean Zen Cart v1.3.8a ...

Then install that to the server via FTP to the server and run through the /zc_install ...

Next, add the USPS Patch:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97461

Next, add the Security Alerts:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108428

Then, add the Known Bug Fixes:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...924#post697924

Now you have a clean copy on your server and on your computer and you are ready to start customizing things ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Are you saying abandon the auto install? ... There is a REMOVE routine, in the Fantastico setup.
    If I manually install, do I have to manually create the database, also? (that is what I liked about auto-install, less steps).
    Do you think I can install the patches and bug fixes, you cite, to my auto install first, just to see if that solves it, before starting over (i'm trying real hard to be lazy, so please indulge me.)?
    If that fails, I'll go manual.
    In the past, I would auto install, and then download all files to my computer, and customize from that point on.

thanks.
    dana
    Dana (Hambone)

Plugin Contributions

Get the Zen Cart v1.3.8a and place it in a directory on your computer and unZip it ...

There is a /docs directory will instructions on installing that should help you ...

You do need to create a database with a username and password for it, which can be done in your Control Panel ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Re: Fantastico install shows no CSS nor Admin

Well, as much as I hated to do it, I followed your advice and everything came out just fine. (haven't done the patches yet). I did the auto install before, with no problem, but it wouldn't work this time. Struggled a little with the MySQL - localhost, username, password, part of the install (for some reason it didn't like my entries, but then it (not me) changed its mind and accepted it all. So, now on to the fun part (template customization).

thanks for your help!
    Dana
    Dana (Hambone)

Plugin Contributions

You are most welcome ... glad that this worked for you ...
    Linda McGrath