Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: blank welcome page

Did you set the permissions on the /cache/ folder to 777 ?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi DrByte,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, permissions are set to 777. I followed the installation instructions to the letter. I did indentical things to both my 1.3.7 directory, and my 1.3.8 directory folder. Zencart 1.3.7 starts up, 1.3.8 does not.

Is there a way I can turn on a debug listing to see whats going on?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks drByte.

I get the following error. Does it mean anything to you?

Fatal error: session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: ../cache) in /mydomain/www/shop138/zc_install/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 92

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

That suggests that the /cache/ folder isn't set to 777 recursively.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Again,

Actually I just noticed theres an extra www in the address the system is trying to access.

/www.mydomain/www/shop138/zc_install/includes/functions/sessions.php

Thats probably the reason its coming up with an error but I have no idea why the program is adding an extra www

Plugin Contributions

Hi DrByte,

Sorry I didn't notice your comment about the 777 permissions on the cache till now. Yes, the permissions are set to 777 recursively. I just checked it. Theres only one file in the cache folder and thats index.php. That file has its permissions set to 777 as well.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert View Post
    Hi Again,

Actually I just noticed theres an extra www in the address the system is trying to access.

/www.mydomain/www/shop138/zc_install/includes/functions/sessions.php

Thats probably the reason its coming up with an error but I have no idea why the program is adding an extra www
    That's coming from the server's filesystem, and denotes the actual path where your site's files are located.

Usually web files are in a public_html or htdocs folder, but some hosts, such as yours use www instead.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by p1drobert View Post
    Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: ../cache)
    The system is trying to start a PHP session by using the path to the /cache/ folder as a temporary place to store session data during the install. It's not supposed to try using that unless the folder is writable. But one would not expect that error message if it was writable.

It's referring to it as "../cache" because that's the correct relative path to the zc_install folder where you're running the install from.

The "why" behind it not working is the puzzling part.
    1. What operating system is your server running?
    2. What version of PHP?
    3. Who manages the server? (you or someone else?)
    4. Who's the hosting company?

5. Try renaming your /cache/ folder to /cache_off/ and see what happens. (That should force it to use the server's system default ... which might work for some odd reason.)

Plugin Contributions

Hi Drbyte,

Thanks for your time with this.

I tried renaming the cache to cache_off but the same error occurs. (theres only one cache folder right?)

Its a Zeus server, running Linux 2.6.18-23etch1
    PHP Version: 4.4.9 (Zend: 1.3.0)

My host company is hostess.com.au

I handle the web site and all its files. I'm an electronics engineer by profession and I've picked up the know how to do all this from collecting bits and pieces of information from the internet. God bless the internet.

Theres PHP5 available if I select it on my host control console. Although the last time I tried to deselect php4, and enable php5 I disabled the entire php system. The support people couldn't explain how.

Whats different between 1.3.8, and 1.3.7? 1.3.7 seems to start up every time, and I'm pretty sure I'm went through the same procedure with both. I notice that there's reference to PHP5.0 in the newer 1.3.8 setup files.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast