Plugin Contributions

Default Which is best? Latest Version of XAMPP for Local Windows Install?

Greetings!

I've been reading Goh Hoek's book, "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart" and I'm now focused on installing Zen Cart on my local Windows/Vista machine.

The book copywrite is 2007 and it recommends using a very old version of XAMPP ... xampp-win32-1.4.16 (which is dated 2005 on SourceForge).

I have to believe a lot of progress has been made with Zen Cart since the book publication date, and that a more recent version of XAMPP is in order.

Does anyone knows what version of XAMPP will work best on a local install (Vista PC) given the current state of Zen Cart development?

Appreciate your help/advise.

Scott

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Which is best? Latest Version of XAMPP for Local Windows Install?

Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Thanks so much for the help/info.

I had decided against 1.7.0 after reading some info on the XAMPP homepage, specifically:

"The current XAMPP version contains no PHP 4 anymore!
    We do not recommend to make an upgrade because version 1.7.0 have too many changes. It is very important to read this Howto for an upgrade to version 1.7.0".

I may be wrong, but I figure Zen Cart could have problems if there is no PHP 4 in the 1.7.0 XAMPP package. I'll go with 1.6.8 and see how it runs.

I love the book...it's a great resource. In my mind, it's always a big milestone for an open source project when publications start. I went through a similar scenario with Moodle...even wrote my MS thesis on it.

Scott

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the kind comments. Admittedly, there are some areas in the book that still need more work. In the meantime, you can turn to the Wiki, Tutorials and FAQs, and the forums for your problems.

Btw, Zen Cart 2.0 will only work with PHP 5.2.x and above so PHP 4.x will only be required for readers who are still using older versions of Zen Cart probably because they need to work with mods that need time to update.

All the best!
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store