Plugin Contributions

Default Newbie: How do I setup attributes for sizes at different prices?

Zen Cart 1.3.8a

I consider myself moderately savvy at web design and have successfully changed basic php, css and zen elements. But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out Attributes on Zen Cart. I've read the Help threads and searched the posts (even Google and outside threads) but nothing really explains what I need to learn in plain and real-world examples.

Could someone please help me with the following:

I will have many listings for art prints and photographs on my website. Each item will offer one print in several sizes and price-points for the same print -- For example,

8"x12" Metallic Archival Print = $20
    12"x18" Metallic Print = $45
    18"x24" metallic Print = $80
    24"x26" Metallic Print = $120

I would setup the first lowest price for the smallest size as the default price (8"x12" for $20). Then, the buyer viewing my Product Info Page will see a drop-down list next to the add-to-cart button where he/she could select which size they want. the appropriate size description and price is then loaded onto the shopping cart. The above prices are total prices (not add-ons to default price ... In other words, a 24"x36" print would be $120 and not $120 added to the $20 base price).

Also, there will be occasions where additional options will be added to certain items like:

Add a Frame to your 18"x24" print for an additional $50
    Add a Frame to your 24"x36" print for an additional $80

I learn things quickly. But, as I said before, for some reason this is totally beyond me at the time. The Attributes Controller is daunting and all my research and experimentation has been in vain. I would really appreciate it if someone could explain how to achieve the above example step by step in plain terms ... Once I have one, I know that "Eureka" moment will happen and I can do the rest on my own.

Thank you
    Last edited by hugozc; 23 Apr 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Newbie: How do I setup attributes for sizes at different prices?

Products and Attributes can be priced in different ways, depending on your needs.

eg: When you add a new product in the product add/edit screen, you will see a radio button that says: "Product is priced by attributes... Yes / No".

If you select the YES radio button, then the product price value you apply in that main screen is 0.0000 . (zero... nothing...).

Now, when you assign attributes to that product, you can set a price for each attribute. By default (in the attributes controller), a + sign appears next to the price input field. Delete that + sign, and an the price field, put your price.

That will set a static price for that attribute, as applied to that product.

Do the same with all other attributes applied to that product.

If you want your attribute prices to be an INCREMENTAL VALUE to the MAIN PRICE (either increasing or decreasing), then the product is NOT priced by attributes, and the main price field will have the product's base price - let's say, for example, $25.

Then, in the attributes controller for that product, you will leave the + sign (for higher incremental value... for lower, use the - sign) and put in the "extra" value that's needed to add on to the base price - say $4.

When a customer selects and adds that attribute, the shopping cart value will be $25 + $4 = $29.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Newbie: How do I setup attributes for sizes at different prices?

Thanks for this queston and answer.
    This was a great help to me. It's easy to get "tangled" in Zencart when your focus is to offer a platform to sell products rather than the technical details. When I read this it then made sense and it be came obvious, refocuses the mind as it where.

Zencart is a great product but it can be tricky when getting started. My advice, Keeping hacking away and reading the forum.

Thanks
    Charles
    http://www.african-elephant.co.uk