Plugin Contributions

Default How do I change my page title

I have changed the meta tags so that the title on the IE/FF tab reads as i want it to. But on google searching, I still have some zencart stuff there which shouldnt be. I.E

Google searching "dried chillis" finds me languishing on page 5. The search results reads like this....

Dried Chillis: Zencart! The art of E-commerce
    Zen Cart! : Dried Chillis - Plants Seeds Sauce Dried Chillis ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping.
    w w w.sgt pepper.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4 - 13k -

Obviously, I need to change both of those references to Zencart. How do I go about doing it?

Brendan

w w w.sgt pepper.com.au/store

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I change my page title

Google results are not live, but rather cached... it will work out soon. No worries

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

So basically these are the meta tags I defined in the admin section only google hasnt updated them yet? Is that correct?

How long til they update do you think? a week, a month, a year?

Plugin Contributions

How long til they update do you think? a week, a month, a year?
    Google maintains many servers and all are not syncronized and they run on their own schedule...

Do you have a Google webmaster account?
    Do you have your sitemaps updated?
    Are you submitting your changed sitemaps to Google. MSN, Yahoo etc?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I am careful with what I do with google because I have heard that if you submit too many times etc you can get banned. Prior to doing zencart I designed and launched a HTML website. within 1 week it was ranking in google, and very well too. It ranks no. 1 when you search chilli seedling, no.2 chilli seedlings, page one "sergeant pepper", page 1 chilli seed etc etc. I get a lot of traffic from these rankings, and a lot of business....so I dont want to f*ck it up.

Thus, I figured I would take the same softly softly approach with the zen cart addition to my site. I just made it live and have waited patiently. My zencart pages still arent ranking though...I added the meta tags 1 or two weeks ago I spose. I thought it would have updated itself by now.

Im prepared to be a bit more patient so as not to risk my currently good rankings under relevant searches. As long as I have done the right thing already in adding meta tags, I am satisfied the problem I wrote about in my first post will disappear when google re caches my site.

In answer to your questions....

Do you have a Google webmaster account? NO
    Do you have your sitemaps updated? Kinda Sorta. Havent put much effort into these.
    Are you submitting your changed sitemaps to Google. MSN, Yahoo etc? No. I submitted my site once and have not submitted again since then.

I get the feeling that the above three things are important.

Plugin Contributions

I am careful with what I do with google because I have heard that if you submit too many times etc you can get banned.
    Re-Submitting when there has been no change/added content is to be avoided....But if you add a new product every day, re-submit every day. As long as there is a valid reason for the submission there is no foul.
    I added the meta tags 1 or two weeks ago I spose
    What meta tags?
    If site meta stuff then ok just wait
    BUT if you are referencing product meta data - Make certian that the meta description "echos" in your human readable product description - echos not verbatim - the human readable should expand upon the brief meta description
    Also enter targeted keywords even though this is debatable as to benefit it does not hurt.

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=62
    I get the feeling that the above three things are important.
    Or I just wasted time typing them
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

To define meta tags for a Category, go to the Admin -> Catalog -> Categories/Products once you're there..click on the meta tag icon (the last one to the right for any given category) and set your content.

This is what I did about 2 weeks ago.

Products
    If you want to define meta tags for individual Products, you will navigate to that product and click on the meta tag icon to define it.
    Note: there are custom settings in Product Types so if you don't want, for example, products_price in the title ... you can globably set the defaults for 1 or all product types.

I have done this for some of my products, but not all.

Common Site-Wide
    To define site-wide tags such as charset, keywords and description, go to includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE_NAME/meta_tags.php and edit that file for keywords, site title, site tagline and site description.

I have done this also.

"Make certian that the meta description "echos" in your human readable product description - echos not verbatim - the human readable should expand upon the brief meta description
    Also enter targeted keywords even though this is debatable as to benefit it does not hurt."

I will take a look at my tags to ensure they are up to scratch.

Re sitemaps, can I completely redo my zen sitemap so it includes my HTML pages, or should I start a HTML sitemap that references the zencart pages and submit it instead? Sitemaps should include every single page I have yeah?

Plugin Contributions

can I completely redo my zen sitemap so it includes my HTML pages
    Standalone html????

Grab the html content - not the header info - and create an ezpage pasting the content - what is in between the body tags and not the body tags them selves. I assume that the html pages you referenced earlier are on another domain name???
    should I start a HTML sitemap that references the zencart pages and submit it instead? Sitemaps should include every single page I have yeah?
    Suggest you have a look at these

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=544
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=473
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

my original site was www.s g t pepper.com.au

my zencart is www.s g t pepper.com.au/store

my original site content remains, with links to my shop. both are styled identically so the user can swap between the php pages and the html pages without noticing. this is exactly how I want to use zencart.

I did think about deleting my HTML pages and using EZ pages to incorporate all the content from my original site (recipes, photo comps, galleries, care instructions etc)...however im glad I didnt as I would be left high and dry right now as i would have deleted the only path that customers are using to find my store.

will those user contributed add ons be able to figure all that out and do a site map for my ENTIRE site?

Plugin Contributions

will those user contributed add ons be able to figure all that out and do a site map for my ENTIRE site?
    This I doubt but could remain useful without the auto submission as you will want to concantenate your other with this and submit manually.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten