Plugin Contributions

help question Is it possible to have this shipping set up?

I am using version 1.3.8a

OK i have read thread after thread about shipping modules and configuring them etc I have found some things that I think i can use but I am new to all of this and not sure if what I need is even possible.

this is what I need

Category 1 & 2
    Store pickup or Australia Wide $5 Flat Fee

Category 3,
    Virtual Product no shipping

Category 4, 5 & 6
    Australia Wide Flat Fee $10 (NO Store Pickup)

Category 7, 8 & 9
    Store Pickup or
    1 to 5 items = $10
    6 to 10 items = $15
    11 to 15 items = $20
    16 to 20 items = $25
    21 + items = $30

Category 10
    Store pickup or Australia Wide $10 per item

Category 11
    Australia Wide $10 Flat Fee

Category
    Store Pickup only (this will change in the future, similar to Category 7,8 & 9)

If the shopper chooses items from different shipping groups I need to charge them for each group, so if the bought an item from Cat 1, Cat 5 & Cat 10, the postage would be $25...

OK, so I know this is quite complicated, but is it possible or is there and add on/module that can do this for me?

Otherwise my only other option seems to be using the product attributes for the flat rates and shipping mod for per items shipping.

Thanks
    Ree
    Last edited by kailey47; 26 Apr 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is it possible to have this shipping set up?

Way too complicated for most people here to figure out.

Is there no way you can kind of average things out? Lose a little on one category, gain a little on another.

You might also Google 'ceon advanced shipper'.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, very complicated I know, I am currently pouring over postage options to try and find a way to simplify it all. Thats why I wanted to know if it is even possible before I waste any more time on it.

I have looked at the "advanced shipper" but it seems to be set up more for UK/US set up. So not sure if it will fit in for an Australian based store.

Plugin Contributions

OK, after writing it all down I have realised it is extremely complicated so I have simplified it.

Category 1, 2 & 11
    Store Pickup or $5 flat fee

Category 3,4,5,6,10
    Free Postage

Category 7,8 & 9
    Store Pickup or
    1 to 5 items = $10
    6 to 10 items = $15
    11 to 15 items = $20
    16 to 20 items = $25
    21 + items = $30

Category 12
    Store Pick up only

And instead of being paid for each one, can only the most expensive option be available?

Is this more feasible??? I am thinking I would use a combination of the flat rate, table rate & store pick up modules, and enable/disable them depending on category.

Thanks, for any advice in adance, it is much appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

That is still extremely complicated - what if I ordered 2 items from category 1 and 3 items from category 7 and an item from category 12?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

In that particular case you would use store pick up for all (as category 12 is store pick up only, I would assume you are able to pick up all)

If you left the item in category 12 out though I would want it to revert to the dearest option which would mean the $10 fee from category 7.

The reason I need it this way is the items in category 1 are worth as little as $1 each, but have a minimum of 25, maximum is unlimited. they are very small items don't cost much to post. However the items in category 7 start at $35 each and have a minimum of 1 maximum is unlimited. They are larger fragile items and cost more to post.

The way I am thinking it needs to work is that if a product in category 12 is purchased Store Pick up can be the only option (no matter what else is bought)

If an item in Category 7, 8 & 9 is bought the only options can be Store pickup & the by item option. 9 (regardless of other items)

If only items in Category 1, 2 & 11 are purchased then the store pickup or flat rate of $5 is available.

If products from 3,4,5,6,10 it shouldn't affect them as they a free shipping/virtual products.

If need be I can use product attributes to do the flat rates (so as far as zc is concerned free shipping) which would then leave only 2 actual shipping options. But I would rather do it through the shipping if it is possible.

Hope that makes more sense....
    Last edited by kailey47; 26 Apr 2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo

Plugin Contributions

My best suggestions would be:

Raise your prices on the items in categories 1, 2 & 11 by 15 to 20% and make them all "free shipping".

Categories 7,8 & 9 use the "Per Item" module with the Handling charge of $10 and $1 per item

You would then need some custom logic to force store pick up if the cart contained anything from category 12.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

I have taken on your advice Kim and have re-worked our prices.

I am going to charge a flat fee of $5 for all items.

What I want to know is can I set the shipping to flat $5 fee, that is charged per category purchased from.

So if someone buys items from 1 Category only they get charged $5

Buys items from 2 categories only they get charged $10 (2 lots of 5)

Buys items from 3 categories only they get charges they get charged $15 (3 lots of 5)

and so on

If this is just as complicated, I will rework the prices some more and just do the flat fee for everything.

Thanks again,

Cheers
    Ree

Plugin Contributions

Flat rate shipping based on the total price paid works well. You just have to build in the worst case shipping cost into the price of each item. For lightweight items or past a certain dollar amount, offer free shipping.

That's how I do it myself.

Obviously, flat rate doesn't work too hot for international shipping. That is a problem I have but only average 5 international orders per week so emailing back and forth with a shipping quote works okay for now. Its something I need to fix, though.

Consider the flat rate approach, though. Its best to simplify things as much as possible - make things so the customer thinks as little as possible.