Plugin Contributions

Default Coding Help with require(DIR_WS_MODULES

1.3.8a zen cart
    PHP Version 5.2.9
    fresh install
    No Mods

Creating a Payment Invoice Cart and wanting to bypass the shopping cart page and go directly to checkout shipping for a more stream line payment system.

includes/ modules/ pages/ shopping cart/ header.php

1. Line 15: require(DIR_WS_MODULES . zen_get_module_directory('require_languages.php'));
    2. I changed it to this:
    3. require(DIR_WS_MODULES . zen_redirect(zen_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL')));
    4. Yes, it works and takes me to the create account page to log in or create an account or use paypal express
    5. Yes you can use paypal express and she works, and yes you can use a credit card and check out.
    6. But, when I click shopping cart I am redirect back to the check out process.
    7. There is not way for a client to edit his invoice or the amount they have entered if they made a mistake
    8. What am I overlooking using the zen_redirect ????
    Mark
    Hare Do

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Coding Help with require(DIR_WS_MODULES

Im amazed that this even works:
    require(DIR_WS_MODULES . zen_redirect(zen_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL')));

Seriously, you cant just do trial and error here, you gotta grab a php book and begin reading

Anyhow, if you redirect the customers when they click on shopping cart, how do you expect them to really click on shopping cart now?
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Hey Yellow
    Do you recommend any good books to learn php for an amateur?

I would love to read more about how php works, I taught myself by trail and error so it would be helpful to know the logic behind php.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorousshoe View Post
    Hey Yellow
    Do you recommend any good books to learn php for an amateur?

I would love to read more about how php works, I taught myself by trail and error so it would be helpful to know the logic behind php.
    logic behind any program is derived from Programmers logic.
    php is language , like C/C++ , VB , C# , JAVA ..
    to understand programming , you need to understand the concept.

I found one very good book published by McGraw-hill .titled
    Computer Program Design . mainly for student interested in programming.

this book starts off by teaching you Flowchart , Pseudocode .. and goes about variables , Array, functions , etc.
    this book only teaches the concept and makes the reader develop the logic .. but yet , you do not write single code . .all you need pen and paper :) ..

I guess those who truly interested in learning programming . should start with solid foundation before investing on books that dives in coding with little info as why things work the way they do .

just my 2 cents.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks tony,
    let me ask it the question this way, what is needed (knowledge wise) to create a module or if I see a function on a website that I want to develop for my site what is involved. I noticed a lot of the major websites in my industry (automotive) use Java and php.

I did learn basic programing languages and logic in my study for my Mechanical Engineering degree but it has been a while since.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorousshoe View Post
    Thanks tony,
    let me ask it the question this way, what is needed (knowledge wise) to create a module or if I see a function on a website that I want to develop for my site what is involved. I noticed a lot of the major websites in my industry (automotive) use Java and php.

I did learn basic programing languages and logic in my study for my Mechanical Engineering degree but it has been a while since.
    First you need to learn how to think logically, that's step 1. But I dont think any of you need to learn it, you all already have that skill.
    2nd, you have to learn how the computer works, and how it turns what ever you write into "actions". This is what tony recommends above, read a basic book about programming.
    Then of course, you need to have the basic knowledge of the language you use: its syntax, the params and the expected returned result of the functions you want to use etc... With php, php.net is the best place to know what each function does, and to get examples from other users.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Thanks guys,
    I would have to spend some time learning about that over the summer break if business stays slow.

Plugin Contributions

you can also download and install APTANA .. is a free IDE designed for PHP , javascript, ajax , with debugging feature .. i like this program as i can take a page in debug and step through the code and see what is happening with function, variables , etc.. oh , did i say is free
    i think so far thats the best IDE for developing PHP ..