Plugin Contributions

help question Google Checkout forbids entering zip codes - is this for real???

Among the various Google Checkout Program Policies and Guidelines you can find the following policy (2c):
    c. Do not ask for zip codes prior to Google Checkout checkout unless necessary
    You may require buyers to provide their zip codes prior to Google Checkout checkout only if required to determine whether you can fulfill an order. (Example: You may require a zip code prior to checkout to ensure an item is in stock for a buyer's geographic location.) You may not ask for zip code information prior to checkout for any other reason.
    Now... I must ask customers for the ZIP code (when they create an account), in order to determine whether I need to charge them state sales tax and local sales tax.

Is this considered "only if required to determine whether you can fulfill an order"? and thus within Google Checkout's policies?

How did you address this issue in your e-commerce site?
    Last edited by zcnb; 6 May 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: forgot the link

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Google Checkout forbids entering zip codes - is this for real???

Whay are you asking us? That is a question to ask Google.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Google Checkout forbids entering zip codes - is this for real???

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Why are you asking us? That is a question to ask Google.
    The next step is to indeed ask Google. My thought was that since Zen Cart naturally supports user accounts with their ZIP code (among other details) already established, and since there are quite a few Zen-Cart users using Google Checkout, this problem has been addressed to some extent. I am interested to hear about fellow Zen-Cart users experience, in addition to Google's "formal" reply.

Thank you for your comment.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Google Checkout forbids entering zip codes - is this for real???

Update: I finally received a reply from Google. I am happy to let fellow Zen Cart users know that Google's ZIP code policy is not as draconian as it may initially seems from reading its current phrasing.

I was assured by The Google Checkout Team that I can continue requiring ZIP code when a customer creates an account, since it is essential for my business.

Please note that this tip is by no means a general answer to every Zen Cart user. I believe that The Google Checkout Team examines each web site on a case by case basis before deciding on the matter.