Plugin Contributions

Default shipping and billing addresses?

I searched the forums to no avail.....

How do you enable a billing address and a shipping address in the stock zencart setup, vers 1.3.7

I figured out how to allow them to have two addresses but not how to designate one as the billing and one as the shipping.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: shipping and billing addresses?

Quote Originally Posted by LRS View Post
    I figured out how to allow them to have two addresses but not how to designate one as the billing and one as the shipping.
    Only one address can be set as "default", but it's not specific to billing vs shipping.
    On the checkout pages, they can click "Edit Address", and then choose which address they prefer for shipping and billing.
    There is no option to set each address to be a "default" for "shipping" vs a default for "billing" ... they have to verify/choose the selection every time they make a purchase.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

So, there is no way to have a shipping and a billing address for an order? (just one address can be used for each order essentially)

Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

No, no. That's not what I said.

A customer can have LOTS of addresses in their address book.

They can select ONE of those as their "primary" address.

But, during checkout, on the "checkout_shipping" screen, there's an "Edit Address" button, which allows them to pick one of their address-book addresses for the shipping address.

And, on the "checkout_payment" screen, they can do the same to choose a "billing" address.

Thus, they can ship to one address, and bill to another address. (Naturally, their "billing" address really should be the one that matches their credit card address ... otherwise you'll have CC verification problems. You might want to suggest that to them.)

They just can't choose (in advance) a "default" shipping address as well as a "default" billing address ... they have to make those determinations during checkout.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

There must be something wrong with my setup then because I can see no way to choose two different addresses at checkout, one for billing and one for shipping. It does give an option to change to another address but only one is shown every time in the shipping and billing spots when it is changed at checkout, whether it is the primary or not.

I tried for several hours to figure out some way to choose two addresses that were listed in the fake customer account I created, one billing one shipping when logged in as a customer and could not get it to work. It did get me an option to choose a different address at checkout but it only showed that address in both fields on the invoice even if it was not set as the primary.
    Last edited by LRS; 6 May 2009 at 05:00 AM.

Plugin Contributions

OK - I figured it out. I had the address max set to 1.

Doh!

Thanks