Plugin Contributions

Default Admin profiles mod

Hi guys,
    I'll like to add the mod Admin profiles 1.0.7 to my site but I'm really worry to mess with my files. I have installed Image Handler2, Simple SEO and integrated phpbb3 into my zen cart site. Would this mod affect the other ones?

To anyone who has installed this mod, will all admins be able to use image handler and SEO?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin profiles mod

Quote Originally Posted by mimi78 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'll like to add the mod Admin profiles 1.0.7 to my site but I'm really worry to mess with my files. I have installed Image Handler2, Simple SEO and integrated phpbb3 into my zen cart site. Would this mod affect the other ones?

To anyone who has installed this mod, will all admins be able to use image handler and SEO?

Thanks
    Unless you REALLY need to have this skip it. If you decide you need it merge the files very carefully after backing up. But, honestly on most hosting configurations the module is a bit dodgy.

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

I really really need this since i'll be working with many different manufacturers. Is there any other option?

Plugin Contributions

I really really need this since i'll be working with many different manufacturers. Is there any other option?
    None other that I have ever seen, just backup and merge carefully.

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

Hi guys,

Thanks
    No, it doesn't go anywhere near any of the core files in those or any other mods. There is a slight overlap in the box files which are used to build the Admin menus, but this is explained in a step-by-guide which actually uses Image Handler as an example.

Whether all admins would be able to use those other mods with Admin Profiles installed would depend upon whether you gave them permission to ... or not!

Quote Originally Posted by mprough View Post
    Unless you REALLY need to have this skip it. If you decide you need it merge the files very carefully after backing up. But, honestly on most hosting configurations the module is a bit dodgy.
    Can you be more specific Melanie? I've done over 100 Admin Profiles installations on a wide variety of server, MySQL and PHP platforms in the 3 years since I wrote it, and I've never heard of, or experienced, any issues related to hosting configurations. Can't remember anything like that in the support thread either, so I'd really appreciate some insight into whatever problems you've run into.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Sure...

I have 5 carts all 1.3.8a and all php 5.25 or better running it. It tends to forget permissions, which then the admin must reset.

I also have issues on all with modules not getting the permissions until actually accessing the module will it be available in the permissions menu.

Only other issue I have is that 2 employees of these companies (2 separate carts) easily cracked it and were able to access everything.

Oddly, I wasn't able to figure our how they did it however.. could have been poor password maintenance on the part of the super admin.

The only other thing I hate is when developers install it and lock shop owners out and then we are left to try to move them w/o any access to a more proper environment... Unfortunately we have seen this too many times to count.

All in all it suits the purpose, but can be (at least for me) a bit dodgy... but effective.

~Melanie

Plugin Contributions

I have 5 carts all 1.3.8a and all php 5.25 or better running it. It tends to forget permissions, which then the admin must reset.
    The permissions table is written to only when a somebody with access to the Admin Settings page actually saves permissions on that page. If they are disappearing at other times then there is a problem with the database or somebody is messing with it. One other possibility would be if an admin user is deleted and recreated. Zen Cart will auto increment the admin id and so the old settings will not be applied to the "new" user.

I also have issues on all with modules not getting the permissions until actually accessing the module will it be available in the permissions menu.
    LOL. This is a glass half-full issue. I've had people tell me that they like the way that Admin Profiles auto-detects new files, and know of some who prefer to rely on this in preference to updating the box files (not recommended).

Only other issue I have is that 2 employees of these companies (2 separate carts) easily cracked it and were able to access everything.

Oddly, I wasn't able to figure our how they did it however.. could have been poor password maintenance on the part of the super admin.
    Lax password security would be one possibility. The other is direct access to the database. Admin Profiles stores permissions openly in the database which has limitations, and may change. But if an admin has access to database then everything's pretty wide open anyway.

The only other thing I hate is when developers install it and lock shop owners out and then we are left to try to move them w/o any access to a more proper environment... Unfortunately we have seen this too many times to count.
    Frustrates me too. But that's really an installation error rather than a hosting issue. I have an as yet unreleased version that sets a MySQL variable for the admin id, reducing the excuse for this. In the meantime you can fix it easily by setting the store owner's id to be 1. Or if the developer is occupying that spot, running the following SQL against the database:
    UPDATE admin_visible_headers SET admin_id = <n> WHERE admin_id = 1;
    UPDATE admin_allowed_pages SET admin_id = <n> WHERE admin_id = 1;
    where <n> is the store owners actual ID and a database prefix is inserted if needed.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

This is all very interesting Kuroi, I will experiment with it on a test site. In the meantime i have to solve other problems my site is not indexed, zen cart is not sending welcome emails and gift certificates are not working. lol

I read somewhere there is a pro version, what's the difference?
    thanks

Plugin Contributions

LOL... thanks for the query! Shall put that to good use indeed.

Cheers,
    Melanie