Plugin Contributions

Default Scroll Memory when navigating Back

I have a client who requested the following feature on his site but I'm pretty confused on how to come around and implement it.

Whenever you are on a listing page and click on a product, the product page loads correctly. If the user wants to return to the previous page he clicks the BACK button and will be directed to the top of the listing without retaining any memory of the position of the scroll. This can be frustating to the user since he has to scroll up and down all the time. I don't if there is a viable solution but any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Scroll Memory when navigating Back

If you Google for 'anchor positions' you'll find a wealth on the subject. There are some JavaScripts out there that will also handle this.

Either way though, it's very erratic and extremely browser specific. FF is not the best at remembering scroll position.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the response. I will do some more research. Now i know what the term is :)

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Have you checked the pages on your clients site to see if they're behaving like this in all browsers or if it's just Firefox?

It's a know bug in Firefox but other modern browsers have built in scripts that remember scroll positions.

If it's a Firefox issue then there's a fix for it here:

http://www.gozer.org/mozilla/extensions/

depending on what FF version you have, install one of the extensions called "Restore Scroll Position" should work a treat..
    Last edited by limelites; 27 May 2009 at 06:28 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Installing the Firefox extension only fixes YOUR OWN browser. The idea is to fix the Session code in Zen Cart because of the NO_CACHE setting. There are many other php driven eCommerce sites that go back to the scroll position in FF so they must know something we don't. There must be a fix of this. And it needs to be a Server sided fix and not a Client Side fix. Kinda rough to tell all my customers to install an extension in there FF browser. And looking at current Browser usage stats, FF is at 53% and IE at 44%. FF has finally taken over (thank goodness!).

If anybody has got a clue exactly how to fix it, let us all know.