Plugin Contributions

Default How Would i Set up Different Shipping Costs for Different Products?

Hi, iam trying to set up different shipping cost for different Products.

I have set up shipping cost per item for Laptops for £20.

But i also wanted to set a shipping cost for, say some CD's for £2.

How would i go about doing this?

Does anybody have any ideas??? Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How Would i Set up Different Shipping Costs for Different Products?

If the shipping cost per Product is fixed, you could use the Per Unit perweightunit shipping module where the products_weight is used for the shipping cost ...

You need to set the Maximum Weight to 5000 or some high number and the Tare to 0:0 so no extra charge is added ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I have a similar issue, where for the most part, I want to actually ship by weight. But, I have some lightweight products and some specialty products that I'd like to have a fixed shipping cost - say $3 for Dvds and +$20 for water skis. Any way to do either one?

Plugin Contributions

When you say ship by weight, what shipping module(s) are you using?

Is there anything in the products table that identifies these "special" products to know which are DVDs and which are Water Skis?

Do you have more exceptions to the rule?
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    When you say ship by weight, what shipping module(s) are you using?

Is there anything in the products table that identifies these "special" products to know which are DVDs and which are Water Skis?

Do you have more exceptions to the rule?
    I use freeshipper (for a few items), Store Pickup, Table Rate (most commonly used), and UPS (which requires the weight).

No, nothing identifies the special products -- except me. There are certain products that I happen to know ship in two boxes or cost extra to ship (awkward shapes) from the dropshippers.

Yes, a few more exceptions, but probably less than 20. I would be fine with adding a handling fee to certain products.

With the DVDs we stock, I just use the free shipping and add in the cost. But, with the Drop Shippers, I cannot guarantee how they will ship if there are more products bought from them.

thanks!

Plugin Contributions

It looks like you would need a custom shipping module to manage this or a way to customize the UPS shipping module to manage these dropship products to add on the custom shipping charge ...

If the shipping charge is the same for all zones, you could add a new field to the products table for that charge so that it can be calculated for these products ...

Then, decide how you want the shipping to read when only dropship products are in the cart ... this could be done by testing the cart for the new field and turning off UPS when that happens and turning on another shipping module to give the shipping costs ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the info. Yes, I've thought about customizing the shipping modules -- I really want multi-vendor shipping. That is my biggest problem. But, then Zen Cart 2.0 might come out the day after I do all that work and include what I want. Who knows?

I was hoping there might be a hack I could use.

Thanks for the advice.