Plugin Contributions

Default Changing Download to link. How?

I'm trying to change the download function to a link to an HTML page that loads a swf file. Right now the HTML file is 'download queried' by the browser and then downloaded to the browser's temp directory where it can't find the swf file (which sits in ZC's download directory)

Is there a way to do this?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Changing Download to link. How?

Are you trying to transfer this page "complete" to ones local PC or just render the page & swf on ones browser?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

kobra, here's the rest of the history ... http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127756

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    Are you trying to transfer this page "complete" to ones local PC or just render the page & swf on ones browser?
    Just render the page and the swf in the browser.

I'm just wondering if there's way to alter the download script to a link instead of a download.

David

Plugin Contributions

Hmmmmm.

I've poked about in the header_php.php script in \includes\modules\pages.

It seems to me that what I'm asking is a matter of changing some of the code there so that instead of initiating a download it calls the HTML page.

I may be asking from ignorance but isn't that all that's necessary to do this?

David

Plugin Contributions

With the lack of response I have to ask if I'm stepping out of line by asking this question here?

I am new to this community and asking if modifying core functionality is possible may be either ignorant or in bad form.

I don't know php and I'm only a neophyte in AS3 but I can look in the header_php.php script in \includes\modules\pages and follow the logic enough to see how download file is initiated. Maybe it's naïve but it seems it wouldn't be too difficult to change it to load an HTML page instead of downloading it. For anyone who's followed the link to the discussion at

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127756

it gives some of the reasoning behind it: I wish to stream VOD from my cart. To use Zen Cart there are only two ways I can see to do this: either load a swf file wrapped in an HTML page (what I'm asking about here) or force the customer to download an Adobe projector. This last would negate the need to modify the php download script BUT it would mean:

1) having them download and run a 4MB file each time they wanted to view a different film

2) asking them to run an exec file which gives many pause for thought

3) downloading different executables for Mac and PC

4) leaving anyone not running a Mac or PC excluded from viewing a film

For these reasons I prefer to modify the php file so the films can be viewed within a browser. All I'm asking for here is informed opinion on the difficulty of modding the download script to do this. Ultimately I'll have to hire a php and AS3 programmer to implement the rest of the functionality that's outlined in the above thread, but that's later.

David

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dcprod View Post
    With the lack of response I have to ask if I'm stepping out of line by asking this question here?

I am new to this community and asking if modifying core functionality is possible may be either ignorant or in bad form.
    Nothing wrong with the fact that you're asking questions.
    But it's not uncommon to not get an answer if people reading don't know the answer ... unless you want a hundred "Sorry, I don't know" responses.

I suspect you're going to need someone to sit down and spend focused programming time attempting to do specifically what you're after. Sometimes you'll find someone willing to do that out of the goodness of their heart -- usually only when the person has either done it before or has a passionate interest in the same topic and wants to find a solution to the same or similar problem for their own use. And sometimes people just don't have the time available to dig deeply into things.

As for asking the questions, you're not "out of line" or "in bad form".

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that a lot of the ZC code writers hang out on the forums and might have quick yes/no answer to this.

No question tho that I'm going to need a code writer to create the connections between ZC and the swf file. He or she is going to have to speak php, AS3, and ideally be familiar with ZC, mySQL, SSL and possibly Zend or something similar.

I guess I'll post here in Help wanted and on various php and AS3 sites.

Any suggestions welcome.