Plugin Contributions

Default Need to know how to do a few things......

If people are able to go here please do, i have a few questions:

http://davids-site.com/zen/index.php...or_maintenance

1. The banner at the top, you can see underneath there is a small white space just before the blue starts again, if i make the banner bigger it fills that space, but if i make it smaller (as it displays now) you can just see white, how can i make that area smaller so that white area can not be seen?

Let me know, zen cart is great so far though.

Oh, the other question is... is there any way after fixing the above problem that i can change the banner to make it flash, i have a flash banner where the text moves and i would like to use that if it is at all possible, if so, please give me some detailed explinations on how to make that work

Thank you very much for reading, and i look forward to hearing you replies :)

David.

** EDITED *** Never ever post in a forum, email, newsletter etc. the zenid or zenAdminID or you will be doomed!!
    Last edited by Ajeh; 16 Jun 2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: removed zenid

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need to know how to do a few things......

Hey David,

The Div surrounding that head is has the id=headerpic

It looks like it is using CSS to fill that div with your image. I think that maybe the size of your image is smaller than the size of the div. The Height: of that div is currently 171px. I would try editing your stylesheet...searching for

#headerpic

then look for a line inside that declaration that says

height:171px (or sometime similar, perhaps a percent)

and then adjusting it down a bit and see if that reduces the whitespace. Goodluck!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you very much, it worked, i really appreciate the help

I think i am just being stupid now haha How do i edit the text on pages such as the maintenance page, i was able to change the image, but dont know how to change the text.

Thanks again for the help so far.

David.

Plugin Contributions

You aren't being stupid, it's just a little different to get used to at first. Zencart separates all of the CONTENT (text) and all of the TOKENS(text locations within the code). The files that conjoin these two objects reside in
    Code:
    includes/languages/english/
    it just so happens that the maintenance text itself is in the file
    Code:
    includes/languages/english/down_for_maintenance.php
    when you open it up you should see something much like this
    Code:
    define('NAVBAR_TITLE', 'Down for Maintenance');                                                                                                                 define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Down for Maintenance ...');
    define('DOWN_FOR_MAINTENANCE_TEXT_INFORMATION', 'The site is currently down for maintenance. Please excuse the dust, and try back later.');                     define('TEXT_MAINTENANCE_ON_AT_TIME', 'The Admin / Webmaster has enabled maintenance at : ');
    define('TEXT_MAINTENANCE_PERIOD', 'Maintenance period: ');
    define('DOWN_FOR_MAINTENANCE_STATUS_TEXT', 'To verify the site status ... Click here:');
    ?>
    This system of definitions is used because it allows zencart to swap out a new language on the fly, by using a different set of files, without having to change the code of how the cart operates. It also conveniently puts all of the "text" that you see on the cart generally in one place.

you are looking at php here, there are three parts to each statement.

Code:
    define('A_TOKEN', 'some text');
    The function is the define(). 'A_TOKEN' is the object that gets placed in the actual code. and 'some text' is the words that replace 'A_TOKEN' at runtime.

You can modify the text to change what it says. However since you are now working within PHP's environment you have a few little rules and constraints. Any characters that PHP considers special will have to be escaped if you want to print them.

for example, the most common
    define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Sorry, You Can\'t Come In, We\'re Down For Maintenance At This Time');

would show up as
    "You Can't Come In, We're Down For Maintenance At This Time
    since the apostrophe --> ' <-- is a special character you have to tell php to ignore it by preceding it with a backslash --> \ <--.

Another really useful thing about these files is if you want to edit or look at the code around where the text is being displayed you can take those tokens HEADING_TITLE, DOWN_FOR_MAINTENANCE_TEXT_INFORMATION, DOWN_FOR_MAINTENANCE_STATUS_TEXT, etc and do a grep or a full file search(if you use windows, go download wingrep) and it will show you which file that particular token is being used in.

great if you want to edit the HTML surrounding that text as well.

Welcome to zencart btw, David =)