Plugin Contributions

help question Can I Use CSV Customer Download?

Hi,

I am currently with Pace Retail wich uses zen cart version 1.3.7 and I am using 1.3.8a.

I can download customers by csv, but because of their version is older, I don't know if this will cause any problems if I upload this to my current version of zen cart?

a) So will this cause any issues that anyone knows of?
    b) Can I upload csv files via php myadmin and if so how do I do this please?

I hope someone can help because this will save me a huge amount of time!

thanks
    Paul

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I Use CSV Customer Download?

Hi again,

Just to add I need to know if this will just upload details, or will this method upload their current passwords also?

PAul

Plugin Contributions

The difficulty is that customer data is cross-referenced across a large number of tables - generally by using the customer_id tag.

... so just importing customer names and addresses, for example, will not help you if you want to migrate ALL the customer data across - how will you (or your existing customers) be able to track past activity (order history, gift certificates, etc).

While it IS possible to do the transfer manually, it is a very finicky exercise and one mistake could have serious consequences.

You are better off creating a full backup of your files AND database off Pace Retail. (This will be the 1.3.7 version).

Then, move the whole lot to your new server, kick the 1.3.7 version back into life on your new server/domain (there are tutorials for moving a site from one server to another), and then do a proper UPGRADE.

For me (or anyone) to walk you through the manual process will be hugely time-consuming, and for that I would charge a fee.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

[FONT=Arial]Hi,

thanks for your help, the only problem is I do not have access to any code or database with this company, hence I am moving away from it.

Possibly the only thing I can get is an export of customers, but the set up does not allow me to move things on to other servers as they have altered things to work for what they do, example, admin panel only has what you request on set up to have etc.

So hmm, I think I may be transferring them myself manually

thanks again
    Paul
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Are you saying that you have limited control over the management of your store ?

If you can get your customer data off the database, then surely you can get a full backup of the database too. (NOT as a csv file, but as a SQL file)?

Do you not have access to phpMyAdmin? If you have a host C-Panel (or equivalent) then surely you have access to your database?

If not, ask your host to back it up as a SQL file, then zip it up and send it to you somehow.

It is utterly unreasonable to disallow you access to vitally important functions that are essential to any webmaster who manages a zencart installation.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I just looked at Pace retail's demo store admin panel, and under the TOOLS menu they have an option "Database Backup - MySQL"

If you can grab this backup, do so.

Do you have FTP access to get at your program files?
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

really late reply, really sorry, I have not been in the office for the past couple of weeks something urgent came up.

In short, the functionality that I have is what is on the demo store plus a little bit more.

I have only got access to images, stylesheet etc via FTP.

Basically, nothing other than the csv export, this is Zencart, but the main files are not accessible, as I did not deal with that until now!

By the looks of it it’s going to have to be done manually

Thanks for your help so far and sorry again for gap between replies.

Paul