Plugin Contributions

Default Quick Question re: EMAIL_STYLESHEET in functions_email.php

Hello all,

In the course of wanting to add some custom content to my newsletter template, I found the following line in functions_email.php:

Code:
        //  if ($block['EMAIL_STYLESHEET']=='')       $block['EMAIL_STYLESHEET']       = str_replace(array("\r\n", "\n", "\r"), "",@file_get_contents(DIR_FS_EMAIL_TEMPLATES.'stylesheet.css'));
    The idea of a common stylesheet across all email templates is appealing because I invariably for get to change one of the template files when updating the style. So my question is: why is this commented out? Was it found not to work, or is it just not tested enough to make it into the 1.3.8a release?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Quick Question re: EMAIL_STYLESHEET in functions_email.php

The feature wasn't fully implemented in 1.3.x.
    However, in the upcoming 2.0 it's fully integrated and easy to share a common stylesheet between all email templates.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The feature wasn't fully implemented in 1.3.x.
    However, in the upcoming 2.0 it's fully integrated and easy to share a common stylesheet between all email templates.
    Fantastic! Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Using a common css file for all the emails can be done by simply
    a) uncommenting out that line
    b) creating a stylesheet.css file in /emails that contains all the selectors used by all the emails
    c) putting
    HTML Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--
    $EMAIL_STYLESHEET
    -->
    </style>
    in the head element of the emails.

I did that and was thinking how clever I was but after researching more into html emails and how to build them, I concluded that it was actually a waste of time due to the shockingly-bad css support of the most popular email clients at this moment in time.
    It seems nested tables and manually-coded inline css is the only option if you want Outlook, Hotmail and Yahoo Mail users to see a similarly formatted email.

There is a tool for converting html and css styles into inline css, premailer.dialect.ca
    but Outlook 2007 still managed to mangle the formatting.
    Tables rool!

Plugin Contributions

I also had to go back to tables. After some tinkering I managed to get the stylesheet set up in such a way that (most) mail clients didn't mangle the formatting. However, the deal-breaker was that many providers -- including Yahoo! -- were classifying my messages as spam because of all the div's. Once I went back to tables and trimmed down the stylesheet, my messages started getting through again.

So much for trying to do it "the right way."