Plugin Contributions

Default Canada Post module wants to ship X items in X boxes

My shipping costs are way out of touch with reality, because the module wants to increase them X number of times when ordering X items.

How do I stop that? It's ruining my business and damage is already done. I was notified by a return customer and have no idea how many were turned away by high shipping costs.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Canada Post module wants to ship X items in X boxes

If you have 'item ships in original box' checked near bottom of product listing it will calculate x items times x boxes.

Also, CP calculates heights, lengths, and widths one against the other so your box definitions and product definitions need to take this into account... ie: a 10 x 20 x 30 item, plus 30 x 20 x 10 item won't calculate to fit in a box defined as 20 x 20 x 30 (even though the two items will in fact fit a box that size).

Nor will CP calculate a situation where you can pack 3 items in a box with two of the items facing upright and the third on its side.

I created a bunch of theoretical box definitions that will accommodate the various combinations of my articles, even though I don't actually use boxes in all those sizes. But CP charges on a weight/volume basis, so the rates calculates out accurately for me.

And one other thing....CP module allows you to add a handling charge ...you could double check that you've not got some big charge per box added that you don't realize.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, I'm confused. When you say it is calculating x items times x boxes, do you mean it's actually multiplying the total by something?

I choose to check the box for "item ships in original box" and I just assumed that it will calculate the shipping for multiple items by calculating the shipping for each item and just adding them together.

I realize it's cheaper when you pack all the items together in one box, but I didn't think the module would be able to combine shipping properly when multiple items are ordered.

Plugin Contributions

Nobody's posted here in a while but thought I would report that we had the same problem, and following soxophoneplayer's advice solved it.

One thing that may not be clear from that posting is that you set up your various available box sizes not through the zen cart admin interface but rather through your shipping set up on the Canada Post server (sellonline.canadapost.ca).