Plugin Contributions

application error 0 Install Error: Could not connect to the Database in: [DROP TABLE IF EXISTS upgrade_

Help!!
    I'm getting the following error, over and over and over again when installing on my local machine (pc) windows xp.

0 Install Error: Could not connect to the Database
    in:
    [DROP TABLE IF EXISTS upgrade_exceptions;]

I am using the latest version of Xampp, latest version of zencart, all services are running fine, but when I try to get past the first stage of the zencart install (database setup) I continue to get this error.

I've double-checked and triple-checked the name of the database, that the user has permissions assigned, etc...

I am stumped!

Any help would be most appreciated!
    Terry Smith
    [FONT=Arial Black]
    [/FONT]

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 0 Install Error: Could not connect to the Database in: [DROP TABLE IF EXISTS upgr

Quote Originally Posted by terrancesmith98 View Post
    I'm getting the following error, over and over and over again when installing on my local machine (pc) windows xp.
    I don't mean to be trite ... but ... maybe the local PC isn't properly configured then.

Local PCs are not made to be webservers, and many people have problems doing that, for that reason.
    0 Install Error: Could not connect to the Database
    in:
    [DROP TABLE IF EXISTS upgrade_exceptions;]
    The message means exactly what it says: Could not connect to the Database.

That could be a result of many things, including but not limited to:
    - wrong servername specified -- usually "localhost" is most appropriate
    - database engine isn't running
    - database engine is running on a non-standard port (normally 3306)
    - database engine is configured in a way the clashes with something else on the PC and thus fails to work correctly
    - firewall services might be blocking database connection attempts
    - database doesn't exist
    - user doesn't exist
    - user doesn't have permissions to the database
    - the windows user account doesn't have permission to run the database properly
    - etc

I am using the latest version of Xampp
    I've heard that the latest has been known to have problems for some people. I don't use xampp so I can't speak to which version is most appropriate. The version mentioned in the eStart Your Web Store With Zen Cart book is known to work fine on XP and Vista, although it's a little older.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 0 Install Error: Could not connect to the Database in: [DROP TABLE IF EXISTS upgr

I found a post from Goh Koon Hoek that suggested I use the version of XAMPP outlined in his book and I tried this with the same error. Then I decided to try the version of zencart that he uses in the book and everything worked fine. Now, of course, I'll have to upgrade my database eventually before I go live. Is there a fix out there anyway for someone looking to install zencart on a local windows machine on the latest version of zencart?

Thanks for all your replies.
    Terry Smith
    [FONT=Arial Black]
    [/FONT]

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I found a post from Goh Koon Hoek that suggested I use the version of XAMPP outlined in his book and I tried this with the same error. Then I decided to try the version of zencart that he uses in the book and everything worked fine.
    Great.
    Is there a fix out there anyway for someone looking to install zencart on a local windows machine on the latest version of zencart?
    Um ... the latest version (presently) is v1.3.8a. My last recollection was that the book also used that version.
    So ... I don't understand your question.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

To determine if its a "connection problem" with your local database or some other problem causing your upgrade problems, install the latest Zen Cart 1.3.8a into a separate folder (e.g. "shop") besides the current one but using a separate database (e.g. "zencartshop").

If the new install works fine, you will need to re-check your upgrade steps to see if you've missed out something.

Alternatively, you can go right ahead and work on the v1.3.8a store to save time if you have done minimal configurations for the v1.3.7.1 store.

If it's a database connection problem either during upgrade or the new install, then:

• check that the database you are connecting is indeed up and running via xampp's port checking utility available via Windows Start > apachefriends > xampp > port checking.
    • use phpmyadmin to check that your database really exists.
    • check that your database connection settings in both config.php files are correct and matches the database you are trying to connect to.
    • check that your anti-virus/firewall are not blocking your connection.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Great.

Um ... the latest version (presently) is v1.3.8a. My last recollection was that the book also used that version.
    So ... I don't understand your question.

1.3.8 didn't exist when the book came out. It uses 1.3.7 (pg.46).
    Thanks
    Terry Smith
    [FONT=Arial Black]
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by canopy View Post
    To determine if its a "connection problem" with your local database or some other problem causing your upgrade problems, install the latest Zen Cart 1.3.8a into a separate folder (e.g. "shop") besides the current one but using a separate database (e.g. "zencartshop").

If the new install works fine, you will need to re-check your upgrade steps to see if you've missed out something.

Alternatively, you can go right ahead and work on the v1.3.8a store to save time if you have done minimal configurations for the v1.3.7.1 store.

If it's a database connection problem either during upgrade or the new install, then:

• check that the database you are connecting is indeed up and running via xampp's port checking utility available via Windows Start > apachefriends > xampp > port checking.
    • use phpmyadmin to check that your database really exists.
    • check that your database connection settings in both config.php files are correct and matches the database you are trying to connect to.
    • check that your anti-virus/firewall are not blocking your connection.
    Thanks. I'll definitely give this a try.
    Thanks again for your reply.
    Terry Smith
    [FONT=Arial Black]
    [/FONT]

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

1.3.8 didn't exist when the book came out. It uses 1.3.7 (pg.46).
    Thanks
    Ah, yes.

And there's the addendum which includes applicable updates relevant to v1.3.8a: http://www.cucumbermedia.com/store/i...id=2&chapter=2

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Ah, yes.

And there's the addendum which includes applicable updates relevant to v1.3.8a: http://www.cucumbermedia.com/store/i...id=2&chapter=2

Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. That is MOST helpful.
    Terry Smith
    [FONT=Arial Black]
    [/FONT]