Plugin Contributions

Default Can I use Zen Cart?

I apologize ahead of time if this has been addressed, but I looked and looked and can't find the answer. I also am sorry if I put this in the wrong area, I tried to find what I thought was the right one.

I'm getting set up to resell graphics packages. I am signed up with DIY for hosting etc (Not trying to name drop or advertise though).

I didn't realize that their cart doesn't automatically send the graphics packages to the customer after purchase. I don't want to have to send each sale to the customer as I have a full time job otherwise and can't always be there to do it. I know I want my graphics right away (or soon after) when I buy them, and I know the customer probably does too.

Is there anyway I can set up Zen cart at DIY and not use their cart?

I really put allot of research and such into starting this business, but it never dawned on me I would have to send each product myself if I use DIY. UGH. I'm frazzled, I just signed up for 3 months with them.

I would appreciate any help with this!

Is there a way a company can override their cart for me and install Zen cart? I don't know what to do.

If not, I would appreciate (if allowed) any PM's from people who are happy with their hosting site, and if they do the work for you as far as set up of graphics template, outline of the store and such, that is even better. I don't have much HTML experience let alone other stuff required. I like the idea of DIY because they do most of the work for me. I feel like my head is swimming now and really need help.

TIA!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I use Zen Cart?

Assuming the graphics packages are zip files, Zencart can be set up such that the customer can dowload the file(s) after payment (assuming these packages aren't customized for each customer).

I'm not familiar with the hosting company you mentioned, so I don't know if it's just a regular hosting account or not. If so, you should be able to install Zencart. If not, I'd eat the 3 months payment and find another host.

Most people here just buy hosting space and install, configure and style Zencart themselves. Seems daunting at first, but we were all at that point once, and look at us now . Lots of help here in the forums and in the Tutorials and Wiki. It's great not having to depend on others to build and maintain your store.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much for your reply.

It's a place to open a storefront etc. I have heard you can't use Zen Cart at DIY (do it yourself) Website Builder, but have also heard you can. So I have no idea what to believe.

They use their own cart system there, I think it's Prim Mart? My issue with finding another storefront site is, I have no clue how to install templates for the "look" of my store, and all the other things that are involved.

Does anyone know of a place that offers a storefront/hosting etc, that does much of the work for you as far as HTML, set up and such?

Something easy.

TIA!

Plugin Contributions

Zencart is a complete "solution" for e-commerce and works on the basis of "dynamic content". Basically, this means that the web pages (the html) is compiled on-the-fly by programming called "php", which cobbles together data and elements from a variety of resources, including data stored in a MySQL database.

There is (generally) no user-compiled HTML. The vast majority of information about your e-store is housed in the database, and (depending on what a visitor requests from your site), each page is compiled dynamically. It "evaporates" when the user clicks a link to another resource on your site.

The management of this data (inputting and website configuration) is done via a password-controlled admin console, and while there is a lot to it in terms of detail, the procedures are relatively straight-forward. It does take a while to learn how to use the features, but for zencart users there is a brilliant book available, as well as one of the most comprehensive wiki and faq sections on the zc site. Also, there is this forum.

My suggestion is to have a go at installing ZC on an appropriate server (see "Recommended Services" link above) and then spending a couple of weeks playing about with the demo data. When you are feeling a bot more comfortable, buy the book and start setting up your e-shop.

Come to the forum whenever you need help and advice.
    20 years a Zencart User