Plugin Contributions

Default Width of center box on site

I have a difficult issue that I'm trying to find a creative solution for. My site is currently optimized for screens using 1024 x 768. Most of our target audience will probably be using this setting.

However, my client uses a wide screen laptop with much higher resolution, so of course everything looks narrow and the text looks smaller.

I'm not so concerned about the text, but he wants to know if there is anyway to get just the center box with content to stretch another 200 pixels or so if someone is using higher resolution on their screen.

I played around all weekend with trying to set things from pixels to percentages, nothing seemed to work. Has anyone else run across this issue? Anyone have a creative solution?

I'll post the url below, and I'm masking it with a tinyurl so that the search engines don't pick up our actual domain name before we're ready, FYI.

Thanks for looking.

http://tinyurl.com/m2enrl

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Width of center box on site

You can set minimum and maximum widths on an element in CSS. In this case you would would want to target the width of your main_w class in the stylesheet_tm.css file (P.S. don't tell anybody that I helped you with a TM stylesheet ).

As background the width of that center panel is not set explicitly, it's what's left over when the width of the side columns have been deducted from the width of (normally) mainWrapper or (in your case) main_w.

The downside is min/max widths aren't supported by IE6. I'll let you decide how important that is to you. If it is there are javascript hacks to fix the problem. You could try this link as a starting point for them.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Width of center box on site

Thanks for helping me with this. Well, I set my .main_w to 100% to see what would happen, and it still looks great on my 1024x768 screen, but I won't have a chance to check it with a different screen resolution until Wednesday.

Does your screen have a higher setting?

Do you think it's better to go with a fixed width or a percentage?

KismetDesign