Plugin Contributions

application error [Not a core bug] Blank checkout_payment and HTTP 406 errors w/ custom payment modules

Hi,
    I have found a "bug" in pages that redirect to checkout_payment page.

I use Apache 2.x on Ubuntu and Debian. The Ubuntu system is used for development and The Apache 2.x on that one has Suhosin patch by default.

I have a web POS module for Turkish banks. The code's message dispatching is derived from other payment modules

Some lines such as causes the HTTPO 406 error.
    Code:
    $payment_error_return = "payment_error=".$this->code."&error=".urlencode( $error )."&webpos_cc_owner=".urlencode( $_POST['webpos_cc_owner'] )."&webpos_cc_expires_month=".$_POST['webpos_cc_expires_month']."&webpos_cc_expires_year=".$_POST['webpos_cc_expires_year']."&webpos_cc_checkcode=".$_POST['webpos_cc_checkcode'];

zen_redirect( zen_href_link( FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT, $payment_error_return, "SSL", true, false ) );
    As seen from the code the error message is dispatched to the checkout_payment page as very long GET parameters.

The result of an error should be shown on the header of that page, but we get a blank page instead.

I have got strict error reporting and error reportinh patch turned on. There is no message in the error log...

Therefore I issued the command tail -f /var/log/apache2/*.log

The apache log shows 406 responses.

Doing a quick investigation shows that sending very long GET requests is blocked by mod_security and Suhosin patch.

There are two solutions for this incidence:

1-Disable mod_security
    a) For all the sites you have (CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS !)
    b) Use that code for your .htaccess onb your site:
    Code:
    <IfModule mod_security.c>
    	SecFilterEngine Off
    	SecFilterScanPOST Off
    	SecFilterInheritance Off
    </IfModule>
    This CAN BE DANGEROUS and DOES HAVE NO EFFECT if you have the Suhosin patch.
    2-The safest solution follows:
    a- Alter payment pages not to send GET redirects and store messages in the $_SESSION global var,
    and
    b- Alter checkout_payment page's header.php to handle the messages set in the payment pages

To do this I have changed the code for my payment module code from:

Code:
    $payment_error_return = "payment_error=".$this->code."&error=".urlencode( $error )."&webpos_cc_owner=".urlencode( $_POST['webpos_cc_owner'] )."&webpos_cc_expires_month=".$_POST['webpos_cc_expires_month']."&webpos_cc_expires_year=".$_POST['webpos_cc_expires_year']."&webpos_cc_checkcode=".$_POST['webpos_cc_checkcode'];

zen_redirect( zen_href_link( FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT, $payment_error_return, "SSL", true, false ) );
    to:

Code:
    $_SESSION['webpos']['payment_error']=urlencode( $error );

zen_redirect( zen_href_link( FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT, "", "SSL", true, false ) );
    There WOULD BE many lines that send GET requests and redirects, therefore you would have to change all of them.

To handle and show the messages I changed the code in the file includes/modules/pages/checkout_payment/header_php.php

Code:
    if (isset($_GET['payment_error']) && is_object(${$_GET['payment_error']}) && ($error = ${$_GET['payment_error']}->get_error())) {
    	$messageStack->add('checkout_payment', $error['error'], 'error');
    }
    to:

Code:
    if (isset($_GET['payment_error']) && is_object(${$_GET['payment_error']}) && ($error = ${$_GET['payment_error']}->get_error())) {
    	$messageStack->add('checkout_payment', $error['error'], 'error');
    }

if( isset($_SESSION['webpos']['payment_error']) ){
    	$messageStack->add('checkout_payment', urldecode($_SESSION['webpos']['payment_error']), 'error');
    	unset($_SESSION['webpos']['payment_error']);
    }
    This solves the problem in the most secure way without any GET requests.

I hope this contribution is helpful.

More questions ? Please do as them ;)

Best of luck,
    Koray

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Blank checkout_payment and HTTP 406 errors

You'll notice that using the messageStack instead of the GET[error_message] is the method implemented by modules in core code from v1.3.8 onwards.
    And the use of the GET[error_message] option will break most sites in all future versions since very long GET parameters are also sanitized by Zen Cart intentionally for security reasons, including the use of the patch suggested here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=320

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.