Plugin Contributions

Default Multiple Installations on One Domain

I'm setting up a site for a medical supply company. They sell to both the general public and to physicians. They don't want the general public to be able to buy certain items only available to physicians, and don't want them to see the prices the doctors pay.

So, I set up two installations of ZenCart, each in their own directory.

Info:
    Zen Cart 1.3.8a
    Patch: 1::
    Database Patch Level: 1.3.8
    PHP Version 5.2.10

Everything seems to be working fine with both installations, although I can only work in one admin area at a time. Not a big problem but it seemed odd to me.

I just wanted to check here to see if there's anything I should be aware of, any problems that may arise?

Thanks very much,

Ted

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Multiple Installations on One Domain

So, I set up two installations of ZenCart, each in their own directory.
    Everything seems to be working fine with both installations, although I can only work in one admin area at a time. Not a big problem but it seemed odd to me.
    Each with it's own Database???
    If fully separate, no good reason that you cannot open both admins at the same time??
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Actually, sometimes in FireFox I get the same issue and have to clean my cookies/cache for the site that I am on ...

Granted I have 1-5 installs running on the same domain in different directories and that can mess things up ...

See if clearing your cookies for the site ... or clearing your cache ... or closing your browser(s) and opening 1 site and navigage a bit then open the next one corrects the problem ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I've checked and each installation has it's own database. I did what you suggested and turned my cookies of in FF and that does allow be to work in both admin areas at the same time.

Very cool! Thank you very much for the information,

Ted

Plugin Contributions

Along the same lines. I have set up the main Domain (A) for my site which will have categories - A, B, C, D, E, F, & G.

I want to use it to run several sites which appear completely separate. Can I set up another domain (B) which will access the same product database but appear to be completely separate from Domain (A) and at the same time limit Domain (B) in terms of categories with Domain (B) showing only categories A, C, & G?

Is there a limit to the number of domains I can attach this way?

Can I apply different Templates for STYLE and layout of each site or would they all have to be the same?

I am one of those with lots of ideas but little technical know-how (but willing to learn). If this is possible is it something I could tackle on my own or should I seek help from a more experienced user?

Is there a Thread which can guide me along in trying to acheive this?

Plugin Contributions

I want to use it to run several sites which appear completely separate. Can I set up another domain (B) which will access the same product database but appear to be completely separate from Domain (A) and at the same time limit Domain (B) in terms of categories with Domain (B) showing only categories A, C, & G?
    Not by default on the same DB
    There is a 3rd party(Not By the ZenCart developers) for Multi Site module and a thread also on this site for it but it appears that the author is not active any more - - others might be able to assist?

Is there a limit to the number of domains I can attach this way?
    Seperate Domains - - You need to ask your host the limits
    BUT I can state that if you require SSL for secure payment processing you either need discrete accounts each with a dedicated IP and SSL Cert

Can I apply different Templates for STYLE and layout of each site or would they all have to be the same?
    See above for multisite module
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten