Plugin Contributions

Default Help a newbie please

I am new to Zen cart and only downloaded it a few days ago. My problem is that I want to change the messages on the front pages and I have read the help tutorials but they say I must edit the following file "includes/languages/ENGLISH/index.php file" my problem is that I do not know how to find these things in the first place - please help!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help a newbie please

You need to get an FTP program to move files from your remote (hosting) site to your local computer. Filezilla is a good one and free.

Once you've downloaded the file you mentioned, edit it in a text editor (I use Notepad unless I need line numbers, then I use Notepad ++ (free).

Then re-upload to the remote site, using your override folders:

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=142

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=230

Plugin Contributions

Thank you - I am using Control Panel to work on my site as this is what I got from my host. Can I not use that? Sorry I should have mentioned this also in the previous question. I am a total novice.

Plugin Contributions

I feel really stupid now - I have downloaded filezilla but what do I do now?

Plugin Contributions

The editor included with the file manager in CPanel is a very bad choice when editing php files. You're better off with Notepad++ or Crimson Editor. Both are free on the net.

You should download a copy of Zen Cart to your computer and unzip it. This will allow you to see the folder/file structure and better follow the instructions in the tutorials. Please read the information about templates and overrides. They'll save you time and trouble later.

In order to use Filezilla to communicate with your site, you'll need the right information from your hosting service. You may have received this info in the welcome email they sent you when you setup your account.

There are free templates available for Zen Cart. You might find it easier to use one of them as a starting point. You can see them in action at http://(sorry, site offline)/
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Thank you. I am going to try it out.