Plugin Contributions

help question What's the difference between Zone Definitions and Zone Rate Shipping?

Hi there folks

I'm just trying to sort out the shipping configuration of my site, and just a little confused here.

I live in Japan (I'm not Japanese) and would like to input the info for shipping. To mail my product, Japan Post (whom I will use) catagorises postage to countries into 3 zones;

Zone 1 is Asia and American Territories (ie Guam),
    Zone 2 is Oceania, North/Central Americas, Middle East and Europe
    Zone 3 is South America and Africa.

A 1kg package, for example, will cost about $17 USD to Zone 1, $22 to Zone 2 and $29 to Zone 3.

I defined these zones under "Zone Definitions" in the "Locations/Taxes - Zones Definitions" of the admin section.
    I defined each country as outlined above, into their respective zones (close to 300 countries I believe, by hand).

Having done this, I proceeded to the Shipping modules page, only to discover that I need to use the "Zone Rates" module, and that I have to RE ENTER the same data, except that this time I must use 2 digit ISO codes.

What are the Zone Definitions for, if you have to enter each country again, under the Zone Rate module for shipping? I was under the impression that the Zone Definitions can be used for different tax rates AND shipping....?!

If someone would be so kind as to clearly explain this, I would be most appreciative!

Seven

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What's the difference between Zone Definitions and Zone Rate Shipping?

What would make this easier on you is to get the Add On for the Zones Tables ...
    Zones Table Rate (for Multiple Zones)
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=695

You can define each of your Zones as you need them in the Zone Definitions in the Locations / Taxes ... Zones Definitions ...

Once you have defined each of your Zone Definitions, you can then install this shipping module ...

It will make you a list of Zone Definitions where you can set the rates and pick your Zone Definitions from a dropdown menu on each one ...

Now, based on shipping address, the correct Zone Rate will be active on the checkout ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What's the difference between Zone Definitions and Zone Rate Shipping?

Whops, I wasn't subscribed to this topic, so didn't realise there was a reply. Thanks for the reply Ajeh, that's very helpful!

Plugin Contributions

Hi Ajeh,

I'm using Zen Cart 1.3.8a

I have a similar question with the shipping and rates.....

right now, I have the shipping module that came with ZC1.3.8 i'm not sure what download you were referring to because there wasn't a link in your post. Can you please resend this link?

The zone shipping seems to work fine but when I setup the tax rates per zone, ZC seems to apply the zone tax rate for BC, Canada regardless of the shipping address being used. The tax is being applied even if I use an American ship-to address?

www.nosilla.ca/store

any help would be appreciated.

Jon

Plugin Contributions

Check your settings for the Tax on the Configuration ... My Store ...
    Basis of Product Tax
    On what basis is Product Tax calculated. Options are
    Shipping - Based on customers Shipping Address
    Billing Based on customers Billing address
    Store - Based on Store address if Billing/Shipping Zone equals Store zone

Shipping
    Billing
    Store
    Basis of Shipping Tax
    On what basis is Shipping Tax calculated. Options are
    Shipping - Based on customers Shipping Address
    Billing Based on customers Billing address
    Store - Based on Store address if Billing/Shipping Zone equals Store zone - Can be overriden by correctly written Shipping Module

Shipping
    Billing
    Store
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!