ok the title is confusing, here's a better explanation.

I have zen cart set up to show taxes included in the price which works fine. But when a customer checks out. It shows the subtotal as the full price including taxes, then the taxes and then the total which is the same as subtotal.

so if an item cost 100 euro and the tax is 10%, in checkout it shows:

Sub total: 110 euro
TVA: 10 euro
Total: 110 euro

I want it to show

Sub total: 100 euro
TVA: 10 euro
Total: 110 euro

This can be done if I turn off include taxes in price, but then the catalog prices don't include the taxes, so that doesn't really help.

Also the first scenario causes an error with paypal, but more so it's just confusing to users. At first I thought it was ignoring the taxes (since it's not always a nice round figure like 100) but then I realized it calculated properly and is just confusing.

I found a similar thread and that guy's solution was to turn "tax" off in the "Modules -> Order total" part. That works (fixes the paypal issue) and is less confusing, but then it shows no taxes at all. I want it to show the taxes.

Any way to do this via configuration? If not I'm pretty familiar with the code. I've done quite a few customizations to this cart, but I still prefer to use configuration where possible. Also the checkout part is one area that I've left untouched since it's kind of a critical part of the application. The version is 1.3.8a.

Thanks for any help with this.