Plugin Contributions

help question Product general in document general

Hello,

in one of my categorie I have 37 items in total.
    This categorie was created to sold product.
    Now I would like this categorie and product to be just for display and so, to change it to "document general" so that the product still show online but without the option of buying them or without the sold out button for the ones that are out of stock.
    I did set properly the product type in the admin (catalogue-product type), but I have a problem, when I change the categorie to "document general" the product included there still show with the "add to cart" button or with "sold out" button.
    Where is the problem ?
    (I use zencart 1.3.7)

Thanx

Akasashasha

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product general in document general

Product Type is added to a Product when it is created ...

Changing the Category's Product Type does NOT change the Product Type on the Products ...

At this time, you would need to change this manually in the products table of your database ...

WARNING: do NOT change Product Type (products_type) on the products table to Product Types that will use additional database tables or will reduce the number of database tables ... example, Product General to Document General or Document General to Product General will not break database table relationships ... however, Product General to Product Music would break database table relationships ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

how to edit this table ?
    is there a step by step guide on how to complete what I want to do ?

Thanks

Akasashasha

Plugin Contributions

You can edit the products table of your database in phpMyAdmin which you should have access to via your Control Panel for your domain ...

If you just want to change ALL Products to be the same Product Type or a specific Category, where the Products all use the same master_categories_id then there are SQL commands that can be run ...

Example, if you wanted to make the Category of Products in categories_id 22 where all of those Products use master_categories_id 22 and change the products_type to 3, you could:

1 Backup your database

2 Then, run the following SQL command in the Tools ... Install SQL Patches ...
    Code:
    UPDATE products SET products_type = 3 WHERE master_categories_id = 22;
    just set the 22 to the actual categories_id for these Products ...

NOTE: if these Products do not use the same categories_id as the master_categories_id, then this will not work for you ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

yeah !
    thanks, that's a really good way to do it for lazy people like me !

Akasashasha

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    Product Type is added to a Product when it is created ...

Changing the Category's Product Type does NOT change the Product Type on the Products ...

At this time, you would need to change this manually in the products table of your database ...

WARNING: do NOT change Product Type (products_type) on the products table to Product Types that will use additional database tables or will reduce the number of database tables ... example, Product General to Document General or Document General to Product General will not break database table relationships ... however, Product General to Product Music would break database table relationships ...
    I was just getting ready to change our product type for music product_music_info to product general product_info template when I saw this. Ajeh, is it save to do this or is this one of those situation that will break things? Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

The Music Type is not really safe to just change the Product Type on as there are multiple tables involved ...

If you only accidentally picked Music and did not add any music data, you could do this but you would need to clean up at least the table:
    product_music_extra

NOTE: there are several database tables involved with Product Music besides this one ...

It is really better to re-add the Product under the right Product Type rather than try to convert from Product Music to Product General ...

If you are really good at managing the database tables in phpMyAdmin you can try this ... but make sure you have a really good backup of your database as you could end up with a real mess ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    The Music Type is not really safe to just change the Product Type on as there are multiple tables involved ...

If you only accidentally picked Music and did not add any music data, you could do this but you would need to clean up at least the table:
    product_music_extra

NOTE: there are several database tables involved with Product Music besides this one ...

It is really better to re-add the Product under the right Product Type rather than try to convert from Product Music to Product General ...

If you are really good at managing the database tables in phpMyAdmin you can try this ... but make sure you have a really good backup of your database as you could end up with a real mess ...
    I will just leave things as they are for right now. Thanks for the words of caution.