Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Revising my meta keywords throws title out of wack

Hello,

I am using zen cart 1.3.8 and having some issues editing my metatags.php file. I am trying to change the meta keywords and when I do the title on my sites pages get lost or something is added to it.

For example, my homepage all of a sudden reads 'Home_Page_Title' and my log in page reads 'LoginPrimary_SECTIONTITLE..."

I tried deleted 'HOME_PAGE_TITLE' from the file but did not work.

Here is a snippet of my file:

// page title
    define('TITLE', 'Thrift 4 Kids!');

// Site Tagline
    define('SITE_TAGLINE', 'An Online Store for used kids clothes and accessories.');

// Custom Keywords
    define('CUSTOM_KEYWORDS', 'ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping');

// Home Page Only:
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION', 'An online thrift store where you can shop for new and used kids clothes and accessories at bargain prices. ');
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_KEYWORDS', 'used kids clothes,used kids clothing,cheap kids clothes,kids clothing,discount kids clothes,used baby clothes,used childrens clothing,cheap baby clothes,online thrift stores,thrift stores, resale shops');

// NOTE: If HOME_PAGE_TITLE is left blank (default) then TITLE and SITE_TAGLINE will be used instead.
    define('', ''); // usually best left blank

Any ideas what may be the problem?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Revising my meta keywords throws title out of wack

Change

Code:
    // NOTE: If HOME_PAGE_TITLE is left blank (default) then TITLE and SITE_TAGLINE will be used instead.
    define('', ''); // usually best left blank
    to

Code:
      define('HOME_PAGE_TITLE', ''); // usually best left blank
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Hi Afo,

Thanks for the response. I actually had that in initially when I changed the keywords and I had the same issue. So I just put it back but still no change.

Do you think the file may be corrupt?

whether I leave it blank or not I still get the same result when I changed the meta_keywords

Plugin Contributions

I don't see anything else wrong with what you posted, so I can't tell if there's anything else in the file that's causing the issues.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Here's the whole file...not sure if this would make a difference:

Thanks!

<?php
    /**
    * @package languageDefines
    * @copyright Copyright 2003-2007 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    * @version $Id: meta_tags.php 6668 2007-08-16 10:05:09Z drbyte $
    */

// page title
    define('TITLE', 'Thrift 4 Kids!');

// Site Tagline
    define('SITE_TAGLINE', 'An Online Store for used kids clothes and accessories.');

// Custom Keywords
    define('CUSTOM_KEYWORDS', 'ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping');

// Home Page Only:
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION', 'An online thrift store where you can shop for new and used kids clothes and accessories at bargain prices. ');
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_KEYWORDS', 'used kids clothes,used kids clothing,cheap kids clothes,kids clothing,discount kids clothes,used baby clothes,used childrens clothing,cheap baby clothes,online thrift stores,thrift stores, resale shops');

define('HOME_PAGE_TITLE', ''); // usually best left blank

// EZ-Pages meta-tags. Follow this pattern for all ez-pages for which you desire custom metatags. Replace the # with ezpage id.
    // If you wish to use defaults for any of the 3 items for a given page, simply do not define it.
    // (ie: the Title tag is best not set, so that site-wide defaults can be used.)
    // repeat pattern as necessary
    define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_EZPAGE_#','');
    define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS_EZPAGE_#','');
    define('META_TAG_TITLE_EZPAGE_#', '');

// Per-Page meta-tags. Follow this pattern for individual pages you wish to override. This is useful mainly for additional pages.
    // replace "page_name" with the UPPERCASE name of your main_page= value, such as ABOUT_US or SHIPPINGINFO etc.
    // repeat pattern as necessary
    define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_page_name','');
    define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS_PAGE_page_name','');
    define('META_TAG_TITLE_PAGE_page_name', '');

// Review Page can have a lead in:
    define('META_TAGS_REVIEW', 'Reviews: ');

// separators for meta tag definitions
    // Define Primary Section Output
    define('PRIMARY_SECTION', ' : ');

// Define Secondary Section Output
    define('SECONDARY_SECTION', ' - ');

// Define Tertiary Section Output
    define('TERTIARY_SECTION', ', ');

// Define divider ... usually just a space or a comma plus a space
    define('METATAGS_DIVIDER', ' ');

// Define which pages to tell robots/spiders not to index
    // This is generally used for account-management pages or typical SSL pages, and usually doesn't need to be touched.
    define('ROBOTS_PAGES_TO_SKIP','login,logoff,create_account,account,account_edit, account_history,account_history_info,account_newsletters,account_notifications,a ccount_password,address_book,advanced_search,advanced_search_result,checkout_suc cess,checkout_process,checkout_shipping,checkout_payment,checkout_confirmation,c ookie_usage,create_account_success,contact_us,download,download_timeout,customer s_authorization,down_for_maintenance,password_forgotten,time_out,unsubscribe,inf o_shopping_cart,popup_image,popup_image_additional,product_reviews_write,ssl_che ck');

// favicon setting
    // There is usually NO need to enable this unless you need to specify a path and/or a different filename
    // define('FAVICON','favicon.ico');

?>

Plugin Contributions

That looks fine. Are you sure the file is uploading correctly?
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I'm not sure what u mean:

I ftp the file to my desktop...renamed that file to meta_tagsorig.php, revised it (just changed the keyworkds) and saved as meta_tags.php and then ftp that file back to my CUSTOM folder. Other than that nothing else. Can't possibly think what I may be doing wrong.

I just realized I copied and pasted the keywords from MS Word to my file...not sure if that may be causing the issue. I will type them directly in the file and post back to see if that made a difference.

Plugin Contributions

DUH Figured it out. when I ftp that file to my desktop I saved it as meta_tags instead of meta_tags.php so it looks like I was transfering my revised file to the meta_tags file. Not sure what this is going to do to this file but all seems to be working out fine now.

Thanks for your help!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mw4kids View Post
    I'm not sure what u mean:

I ftp the file to my desktop...renamed that file to meta_tagsorig.php, revised it (just changed the keyworkds) and saved as meta_tags.php and then ftp that file back to my CUSTOM folder. Other than that nothing else. Can't possibly think what I may be doing wrong.

I just realized I copied and pasted the keywords from MS Word to my file...not sure if that may be causing the issue. I will type them directly in the file and post back to see if that made a difference.
    It will make a big difference. This is a language file and they are rather touchy with line breaks which MS Word adds. Download PS Pad or Crimson editor for editing your Zen Cart files to avoid this.

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mw4kids View Post
    DUH Figured it out. when I ftp that file to my desktop I saved it as meta_tags instead of meta_tags.php so it looks like I was transfering my revised file to the meta_tags file. Not sure what this is going to do to this file but all seems to be working out fine now.

Thanks for your help!
    Glad you got it sorted! It's an easy mistake to make.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast