Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding multiples to the drop down attributes

The references to "Read Only" on the Attribute itself, should be "Display Only" ... you will see that marked specifically as:
    Used For
    Display Purposes Only:

on the Attributes Controller ...

The Display Only with the Default will force the customer to make a "real" choice and not an "accidental" choice based on one of the other Option Values ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

It does not fix the problem of it displaying a Radio button rather than a Drop Down list.

Plugin Contributions

If an attribute intended to have multiple values is defaulting to a radio button (standard behaviour in zencart if there is a SINGLE option value), then you are incorrectly setting up your attributes.

I see also in your post above that you are using CHECKBOX, for some options.

So, this means I can order Either the 4-chair option, OR the 2-chair option... or... 4-chair option, AND the 2-chair option (against one product).

Checkboxes are used when a customer can apply MORE THAN ONE variable to a single option NAME:

EG:

I sell a customized shirt that can have any combination of coloured stripes of BLUE, GREEN and RED.

A customer can choose:

ALL GREEN
    ALL RED
    ALL BLUE
    ... or any combination (green and red... red and blue, blue and green... or red and blue and green)

In this case I use CHECKBOXES, because they allow selection of more than one value against option name (What Colour Stripes...?)
    Last edited by schoolboy; 9 Nov 2009 at 07:49 PM.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Give me the full breakdown of your table and chairs options for the product in question. I'll have a go at walking you thru the set=up of appropriate attributes...
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    You have totally lost me ...

You have an Option Name: Color with Option Type: Dropdown ... correct?

You have Option Value Names of what?

Then you go on to something about Copying ... what do you think you are trying to copy and where?
    What I meant by copying is I didn't want someone to copy and paste the answer from the FAQ section. I had already read that and still did not understand, that is all about the copying. Nothing to do with what I was trying to do

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RoyL View Post
    It does not fix the problem of it displaying a Radio button rather than a Drop Down list.
    That is right I DO know that if you only add ONE item, it will automatically be a Radio Button by default. That can only change when you add multiples.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, that very nice of you. First, I'm giving you our web site: http://www.thehouseofdecor.com/. If you do a search on HE-1380-118 you will see my problem. It has the China Hutch with a Check Box which is fine. Then you will see the Side Chairs with the Radio Button. The price is for 2 Chairs. This is where I want the Drop Down box.

If you do another search on HE-1380S you will see where I set it up as a Product independent of the Dining Table & 4 Chairs. This is for customers that want to add more chairs later after there original purchase of HE-1380-118.

I set the attribute up as follows. I set the Option Name up as Side Chair - Pair with a Drop Down box. I set the Option Value for the HE-1380S Side Chair.

What else do you need to understand the problem?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    If an attribute intended to have multiple values is defaulting to a radio button (standard behaviour in zencart if there is a SINGLE option value), then you are incorrectly setting up your attributes.

I see also in your post above that you are using CHECKBOX, for some options.

So, this means I can order Either the 4-chair option, OR the 2-chair option... or... 4-chair option, AND the 2-chair option (against one product).

Checkboxes are used when a customer can apply MORE THAN ONE variable to a single option NAME:

EG:

I sell a customized shirt that can have any combination of coloured stripes of BLUE, GREEN and RED.

A customer can choose:

ALL GREEN
    ALL RED
    ALL BLUE
    ... or any combination (green and red... red and blue, blue and green... or red and blue and green)

In this case I use CHECKBOXES, because they allow selection of more than one value against option name (What Colour Stripes...?)
    Schoolboy,

What you have described thus far is helpful and I understand now HOW to do the VALUES & NAMES.

The problem is, which I am sure RoYL is having the same problem. Is when we go to the big grey box and make the selections to add TO the product, it is not letting us pick multiple items to display

For instance,

I sell auto parts, I set up the 'valve cover size' and set up 'short' and 'tall' to go with 'valve cover size' as well as 'select valve cover size'

When I go to the attributes controller and get to the 'big grey box' it doesn't show multiples.

*tried something* I DID IT!!!!!!!

Ok I have figured it out. once you get to the 'big grey box' just keep 'inserting' what you want to add to the product. Once you do that, it will make the drop down.....

THANK YOU SCHOOLBOY, I figured it out while writing this....:):):):):):):): You kickass~!!

Plugin Contributions

Your current Option Name: Side Chair - Pair

Your currrent Option Value: HE-1380S Side Chair
    (Which adds extra $ and lbs)

----------------------------------------------------

My suggested Option Name: HE-1380S Side Chairs - Pair As type "Dropdown"

My suggested Option values (for THIS name)

No Sort order 1
    Yes Sort order 2

When the above have been set up as an option NAME with these two option VALUES (No and Yes)... go apply them to the product with Product Code HE-1380-118.

------------------------------------------------------------

Open up Attribute Controller for HE-1380-118.

Choose Option Name: HE-1380S Side Chairs - Pair
    Choose Option Value: No
    Make it DEFAULT by turning the "orange" button on.
    Click [INSERT] button

Choose Option Name: HE-1380S Side Chairs - Pair
    Choose Option Value: Yes
    Apply Price and Weight Factors $ and lbs
    Click [INSERT] button
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Scroll up a bit...

Click DEFAULT SORT ORDER button

-------------------------------------------------------------

Go look at your product in the webshop...
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mshigh13 View Post

Ok I have figured it out. once you get to the 'big grey box' just keep 'inserting' what you want to add to the product. Once you do that, it will make the drop down.....
    Look at the post I just did for Roy... You have to add them one-at-a-time (sadly), but there is a logic in that... each prod is different, so must be treated differently. "globalizing" attributes can come subsequently, by using the COPY features.
    20 years a Zencart User

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast