Plugin Contributions

Default Need Kindergarten level install instructions for Categories Dressings

Hi everyone,
    I can't express my gratitude for this forum enough - I have used the resources here to learn so much about Zen Cart - but I think I have come to the end of that rope.

My site is http://www.simplydelightfuldesigns.c...ctsandservices and all of my 'products' are found on the left. I'm not completely done adding descriptions and attributes for all products, because I wanted to try to further customize the way the categories are appearing. Basically - I want categories for my categories - but I want them to be in separate sideboxes with different headings.

WEB & BLOG DESIGN:
    *custom website designs
    *premade website designs
    *custom blog designs
    *premade blog designs
    *blog and website packages

HEADERS & BUTTONS:
    *custom header
    *etsy banner
    *logos
    *image maps

I could go on, but these are all products that are currently showing up in one list.... Is category dressings something that could help me achieve what I want? I would also like to use images for each of the headings instead of what I have now... an example here - http://shabbymissjenndesigns.com/shoppe/

I have spent the better half of today researching the categories dressings, and am not understanding what to do with it very well. I am even willing to pay someone to help me get over this hump. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Kim; 6 Nov 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need Kindergarten level install instructions for Categories Dressings

Ok, I figured out how to get it in - and I am going to post instructions so hopefully anybody can understand. If I can figure out how to get this installed and get it going, then I know others can do it too! I'm talking basic install instructions for categories dressing - step by step, how to install categories dressing.

These are the steps that I took, I'm not promising that they will work for you, but if they do, rock on!

1. I am assuming that you already have the zip file saved. I saved it to my desktop so it was easy to find. I did not unzip it, because I was afraid of loosing some files along the transfer back to my store, so I went ahead and uploaded the whole zip file to my server/host , to the root of my store, once it was on my server, I unzipped it there.

2. Categories Dressing comes with four files when you first open it, we will be dealing with the first two:
    *ch_category
    *includes
    *gnu_gpl_license
    *readme2_7_3

3. In your root folder for your store,
    Open includes,
    open languages,
    open english,
    open extra definitions,
    and you will find a folder called your_template. To activate the categories dressing to work, change the name of the folder called your_template to the name of your actual template - in my case cpanel would not let me rename the file without first changing the name of the other file, so I renamed classic to classic2, and changed your_template to classic (hope that made sense)

4. Do the same for:
    includes
    templates
    there you will find your_template and change this file name also

**** Once I did this, all of the customizations that I had done to my template were not displaying anymore, so to get them back, I went back to the original template.css file that I had been using in the previous classic folder and simply copied the entire css and opened the newly named classic folder and pasted it onto the end of the css

Your new template can now be found rootfolder > includes > templates >classic > css >stylesheet_categories_dressing.css (where classic is the name of my template, it might be different for you)

5. This is where I pasted the previous css - smack dab on the end. I really didn't know if it would work to bring back the entire style, but it did - I then continued to edit and play around with the settings and categories and edited the new css that displays the new separated categories.

To adjust settings after installing, the readme file suggests going to Admin > Configuration > Layout Settings - as detailed under "To display images in place of selected category names:", and to alter the categories_dressing_defins.php

the css file is called stylesheet_categories_dressing.css
    Image folder is /includes/templates/your_template/images
    includes/templates/your_template/buttons/english (more of a note for me so I can come back to them)

I hope this helps someone - it took me QUITE all the day to figure out how to install this thing, and it really wasn't all that difficult, but I can understand how frustrating trying to get something done can be!
    Last edited by Kim; 6 Nov 2009 at 03:16 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need Kindergarten level install instructions for Categories Dressings

Thanks for posting the update on what worked for you on installing this ...
    Last edited by Kim; 6 Nov 2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I was out of town when you posted this... If your host makes it difficult to install folders, the best bet would be to copy the individual mod files to the correct folder locations, rather than knocking your current template folders out of the way and pasting content back.
    Specifically, you could move stylesheet_categories_dressing.css right into your template's existing /css/ folder without disturbing the existing contents.

Also, your work might have been easier if you had unzipped the files on your pc, as you could have made the file/folder changes right there before dealing with your host.
    Last edited by gjh42; 11 Nov 2009 at 05:58 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Unzipping and renaming folders on your pc would have had the files dropping into place where they finally belonged, instead of having to do contortions to rename folders to names that already existed.
    This is standard practice for all mods.