Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Everything disappeared after changing permissions and can’t restore it back

Hello,
    After reading great reviews about Zen cart I decided to try it. I am C++ programmer and reasonably experienced with programming, however I have to admit that I do not have that much knowledge in PHP. My Zen problem is more strange then technical,,, you decide!

After downloading Zen cart unpacking and FTPing code to my website, I did absolutely nothing from installation manual… After typing my web page diavega.com, installation screen was there and I just simply went trough inputting all info and installing data base. That was the probably the easiest installation that I ever did. After that I spend some time looking at all available cart admin functions and to be totally honest with you I was pleasantly surprised with all the tools. Then I went to the shopper’s page and on the top there were 2 warnings in red. First one was to delete particular directory and second one was to disable some file permission from 777 to other mode so that no one can execute it again.
    I carefully did as advised and then all hell breaks loose nothing was working. I generally get 3 errors for any page. First one was 404 then 500 and just blank page. I did delete all files and reinstall all again and again, now fallowing exactly step by step instructions from your installation manual, 3 times using 3 different FTP programs, and I was never been able to get absolutely anything on the screen, no installation screen nether any other php screen. I open ticket with my service provider Lunarpages.com and they sent me some copy/paste instructions that do not make really much sense for me but I am in really position that I need some help, because I did everything I know and from this point on I do not know what else to do.
    Please help,
    Jack

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Everything disappeared after changing permissions and can’t restore it back

Quote Originally Posted by jjaacckk View Post
    I am C++ programmer and reasonably experienced with programming, however I have to admit that I do not have that much knowledge in PHP.
    As a programmer you will know that in order to solve the problem you must think and act in a very logical manner, It seems to me that you have ignored this fact when it comes to PHP.

Then I went to the shopper’s page and on the top there were 2 warnings in red. First one was to delete particular directory and second one was to disable some file permission from 777 to other mode so that no one can execute it again.
    This is normal operation. Just for accuracy though, the directory to be deleted is the one with all the installation scripts. You really don't want people running them again after the software has already been installed.
    The files that you are asked to change permissions on are the two configuration files. These are not executable files to begin with, and the permission changes to them are to prevent them from being changed, ie, by removing 'write' permission. They still need to be readable.

I carefully did as advised and then all hell breaks loose nothing was working.
    This is where your logic fails. IF you did exactly as advised you almost certainly wouldn't be having any problems.

This would suggest you either deleted the *wrong* directory, OR you gave the config files the wrong permission and made them non readable as well as non writable, or perhaps you simply changed permissions on the 'wrong' file(s)

I did delete all files and reinstall all again and again,
    Are you 100% sure about that? It is possible that the permissions you gave the config files made them undeletable, which would mean that your attempted re-installs would be leaving those files alone so that you are not getting the fresh reinstallations that you think you are.

now fallowing exactly step by step instructions from your installation manual, 3 times using 3 different FTP programs, and I was never been able to get absolutely anything on the screen, no installation screen nether any other php screen. I open ticket with my service provider Lunarpages.com and they sent me some copy/paste instructions that do not make really much sense for me
    Since we don't know what these instructions were we can't explain the meaning of them to you.

but I am in really position that I need some help, because I did everything I know and from this point on I do not know what else to do.
    Please help,
    Jack
    What I'd be doing in your case (since we really don't know what files you've deleted or what permissions you have set) is to really start afresh.

This means deleting the entire /zencart/ directory from your server, as well as dropping the zencart database. I'd even go as far to suggest that you place your next installation into a different directory.

Then, after it is up and running, make doubly sure that you only delete the 'install' directory .. Confirm all is ok by loading up the shop front, and you should be greeted with only one warning (about the file permissions), If so, you can then go back and change those permissions.. just make them non writable. There are only the two files you need to change permissions on, and these reside in different directories.. ensure you get the correct ones, especially the one in the admin directory... configure.php can easily be confused with a similarly named file configuration.php (different directory).

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Everything disappeared after changing permissions and can’t restore it back

Rod,
    I do not mean to be cynical or improper but if you use logic as you suggested, and then carefully read what I typed in, you will see that I already did most of the things that you suggested. Now I like to give you lecture on logic; If you do not know how to help someone, then don’t jump in to the attacking the person and repeat what he just said. That would be logical, make sense to you? Now, if you really have technical expertise and willing to help me, I suggest that you take some short time of cooling down, and you reply intelligently with out being cynical or jerk. And I will repeat what was done so far.

1. Zen was installed and it did work.
    2. I browsed Admin page with no problem
    3. I browsed shopping page with no problem
    4. Then I deleted directory that was suggested
    5. I changed permission as suggested to two files
    6. Now you start using your logic, OK?
    7. All hell broke lose (start thinking)
    8. No php page showed up trough the browser.
    9. I reinstall code including download new code with 3 different FTP programs.
    10. I also posted link diavega.com
    11. Yes I know there is a problem that I can not resolve…

Except that I did not install it in to different directory than public _html you just repeated all what I said in your response except that you were much more arrogant and cynical.
    It is OK to respond to this post because I do need a help, and i am propobly overlooking something very small and stupid, but if your response is not intelligent to the point to help me, …please give me a favor and just take cold bear I will send you a donation for your time.

Have a wonderful weekend
    Jack

Plugin Contributions

It is OK to respond to this post because I do need a help,
    My how magnanimous of you.

Except that I did not install it in to different directory than public _html
    Err, it probably won't work at all UNLESS it is placed in the public_html directory. If that is what you got from my response then I'm not at all surprised that you have problems.

i am propobly overlooking something very small and stupid,
    Yes, you are. I pretty much told you what your problem was caused by, in the nicest way I possibly could, but even that offended you.

I'll now offend you even more by telling you the problem in the more direct manner that I clearly should have used the first time. Namely: YOU FAILED TO ACCURATELY FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

You either deleted the wrong directory, changed the permissions on the wrong files, or set wrong permissions on the right files.

Keeping in mind you had a fully working installation until you made these changes.

It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Now, instead of bitching at me once again, if you re-read my original response I even went to the effort to explain to you why the failure to follow the instructions the *first* time would/could be the cause of your subsequent failures. As a programmer I would have expected you would appreciate the additional information, rather than just giving you step by step details as what you need to do to solve your issue. Steps that you have chosen to ignore anyway, because it was obviously much easier to criticise my response than doing something positive for yourself.

I suppose I *could* be mistaken though, and you did everything *exactly* as you should have done, but somehow or other your copy or installation of zencart did something *different* for you than it has for the 1000's of other zencart installations in existence. This of course isn't logical, but this is also obviously what you beleive to be the case.

Until/unless you accept the simple fact that you screwed up you will get nowhere.

Sorry I've had to be so blunt, but sometimes it is the only way.

Rod
    Last edited by RodG; 8 Nov 2009 at 06:06 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Rod,
    You are OK dude, you will make it some day...
    Cold beer offer is still on.
    Let me know...
    Jack

Plugin Contributions

For all of you who get similar problem I finally figured out what is going on. My server provider Lunarpages.com are setup to use suPHP to parse php pages as CGI instead of an Apache module. If you are running a PHP-based script on your find you self in similar situation by receiving a 500 and/or 404 errors, blank page or Internal server error on your pages. Disregard suggested permissions in installation manual because that is the actual cause of the problem.

DISREGARD from Zen manual
    On the server locate the file: /catalog/includes/dist-configure.php
    Rename this file to configure.php and change the permissions to 777 (read-write-execute for all)

Next, on the server locate the file: /catalog/admin/includes/dist-configure.php
    Rename this file to configure.php and change the permissions to 777 (read-write-execute for all)

Folder definitely should be set with 755 permission and two recommended files should be or 644 or 444. After that you will be fine.

If someone likes to verify this info please contact Lunarpages support
    [email protected]
    Support forums - http://www.lunarforums.com
    Telephone: 1-714-521-8150 , Fax: 1-714-521-8195

Rod, thank you for your help it was challenging but unfortunately not that intellectually stimulating. Remember… logic is just a beginning… keep working on you self. Let me know about that cold beer offer.
    Jack

Plugin Contributions

For all of you who get similar problem I finally figured out what is going on.
    You screwed up. We know that. Now you are trying to feed us bullsh*t so that you feel less of an idiot.

(Hows that for a good opener?)

My server provider Lunarpages.com are setup to use suPHP to parse php pages as CGI instead of an Apache module.
    Many servers do, including our own, but I will bet my life on the fact that this wasn't the cause of your problem(s)

BTW, suPHP *is* an apache module.

If you are running a PHP-based script on your find you self in similar situation by receiving a 500 and/or 404 errors, blank page or Internal server error on your pages.
    Answer this honestly.

Did you not tun the zencart install scripts to install your zencart, and isn't it true that you had a fully functional zencart installation right up until the time you made manual changes?

If so, then isn't it safe to assume that the default php settings on your host, regardless of whether they were using suPHP or the standard PHP Apache module, it MUST have been correct for this to occur?

Disregard suggested permissions in installation manual because that is the actual cause of the problem.

ATTENTION ALL zen-cart newcomers. DO NOT heed this advice. The Zen-cart manuals and guides are correct. Some of the 'advice' about to be given will leave your installation vulnerable to certain hack attacks.

On the server locate the file: /catalog/includes/dist-configure.php
    Pointless, needless, but pretty harmless.

Next, on the server locate the file: /catalog/admin/includes/dist-configure.php
    Again, Pointless, needless, but pretty harmless.

The zen manual doesn't mention permission changes to these files. They should be left alone.

Folder definitely should be set with 755 permission
    This is the default anyway. I'm not really sure why you brought this up

and two recommended files should be or 644 or 444. After that you will be fine.
    I'm assuming that "and two recommended files" is referring to the configure.php files that zen-cart DOES tell you to change? Needless to say, this is correct, and funnily enough, of ALL the changes you've mentioned these are the only two files that do actually need to be changed. Everything else should be left at the zen-cart defaults.

More importantly, those dist-configure.php files you mention should NOT be modified and renamed. This is a security risk. In fact this risk is the very reason why zencart pops up warnings about configution files being writable.

If someone likes to verify this info please contact Lunarpages support
    [email protected]
    Support forums - http://www.lunarforums.com
    Telephone: 1-714-521-8150 , Fax: 1-714-521-8195
    What are we to verify? The fact that they us suPHP ? No need to contact them, I will verify this. Although not *essential*, most shared webhosts use this, because it gives better security and isolation between their clients. Rather than all php scripts being run as a 'nobody' user, it allows them to be run as individual/specific users. (oh, and it is still an apache module). See www.suphp.org for more info.

Incidently, I checked out the lunarforums, and a search for 'zen-cart' reveals ~50 posts in the last four years.. the last one being several months ago. Not one of those posts discusses anything like what you have described you needed to do. If your problem were a lunarpages issue I'd have expected at least one mention of it. You are clearly a 'unique' case.

Rod, thank you for your help it was challenging but unfortunately not that intellectually stimulating. Remember… logic is just a beginning… keep working on you self. Let me know about that cold beer offer.
    Jack
    The cold beers should go to the zencart development team they deserve it more than I. Hey, they even have their manuals right. I think you owe them an apology actually.

As for 'working on myself' .... I've already had almost 6 decades of 'life', with almost 3 of those conversing with people online in order to develop my artisty of sarcasm.

I'm now at the stage we I don't suffer fools. (but I'll go out of my way to share my decades of experience with anyone willing to learn)

You are apparently trying to make a fool of me. There's really no need for that I'm quite capable of doing so on my own.

What is worse though is that you have incorrectly indicated that the zencart manual is also wrong, and in my opinion your post is only going to cause other people problems.

I really don't care what you *think* you needed to do to get your zencart installation working, but what you state above isn't it.

You HAD a working installation right up until the time you deleted the wrong directory or gave the wrong permissions to the right files, or the wrong permissions to some other files. THAT is when your problems started. It has nothing to do with suPHP no matter how much pontificating or self justification you feel you need to do.

I really don't mind you critiquing my methods of dealing with people, but I do object when you give other people bad advice when doing so. Doubly so when it involves a potential security risk.

Regards
    Rod.
    Last edited by RodG; 9 Nov 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Rod,
    Don’t worry about, leave this to the professionals, you will obviously say anything to win the argument, even if your post does not make any sense. I am not mad at you needier do I like to make you full, perhaps I like you, but you should think about what you are saying. Your post does not make any “logical” or technical sense. You started this, and I did not mess up you did, but this is OK because this is the level of expertise you have and what ever you are saying it is on your level, I understand that this is your maximum and you have to defend it. Again who ever doubt me, please use lunarpage.com support people to verify info I provided here. Rod, please do mi a favor, learn the difference in between Apache and CGI mode… before you post anything. You may confuse someone with your technical BS that sounds so good, but in back ground does not have any meaning.
    As for Zen cart developers you are right, they deserve all my respect.
    I wish you all the best and good luck in your programming studies…
    Jack

Plugin Contributions

Rod,
    Don’t worry about, leave this to the professionals, you will obviously say anything to win the argument, even if your post does not make any sense.
    Apparently it made a lot of sense to someone. I've just received an email apparently from "[email protected]" with your 'new' administrator login details.

What do you want me to do with them? (I'm tempted to post them here to teach you a 'lesson') but I will refrain from doing so, firstly because it is seemingly impossible to teach you anything, and secondly, you may have confidential user data stored on your system (not that it is confidential any longer), I just don't wish to aggravate the situation you have placed yourself in.

Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hello Dumbo,
    Are you like to impress us because you are interested in job consulting for this issue?
    Ha ha ha you are so dumb, you believe that you did something because you are so smart, you did it because you know trick or two, not because you have brain to think.
    Actually I did learn something this time. If you were able easily to hack in my site and still my password and logging information, including personal info... if you are able to do that with your minimum level of computer knowledge then Zen cart security suck, if you have any stolen info from my cart you can share, but this is illegal in my and your country. Now I start to sorry about you. Not just about how dumb you are but how sick you are, and how far you will go to establish dominant position. Now if you think that punk like you can scare me, sorry you are very wrong. Also I suggest that you leave this to the real computer people, anyway thank you for warning on security issues, you just did me a favor.
    I am so sorry that I can not respect you, because you just don’t deserve it, and what ever you do that bulling part will not help you.
    Sorry,
    Anyway I wish you all the best in your journey.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast