Plugin Contributions

help question How does "PayPal Express" Refund work?

I searched the forums and found several references to some support for PayPal Express refunds in Zen-Cart.

However, I couldn't figure out how that works. In the few incidents where I issued refund via PayPal's website, I saw no reflection of that in the order status (via the admin console).

OTOH, the following thread suggests that the order status should have been updated automatically by PayPal:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73504

What am I missing?

Can you please help me figure this out?

Does paypal refund support in Zen-Cart work only if I do it via Zen-Cart's admin console? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How does "PayPal Express" Refund work?

If you do a refund from the PayPal site for a transaction made for your Zen Cart store, it will automatically be reflected in the store provided that the communications from PayPal's server to *your* server are open and functioning properly. That notification process uses the same technology that the "Website Payments Standard" payment module uses. There are detailed guidelines for troubleshooting such communication problems here: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/PayPal

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: How does "PayPal Express" Refund work?

DrByte thanks for your answer. I am so sorry, I just discovered that I confused between "PayPal Express" and "PayPal IPN - Website Payments Standard".

What I have on my website is "PayPal IPN - Website Payments Standard". Is your answer still the same for this payment method?

All communications and payment transactions work fine on my site - except for reflecting the refunds.

Does "PayPal IPN - Website Payments Standard" support the same refund reflection as the other PayPal methods?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How does "PayPal Express" Refund work?

Refunds done on the PayPal site, for transactions initiated by your store, should automatically be reflected in the Order History comments for the particular order.
    It WILL NOT change the order total amount. It ONLY stores the refund comment, and sets the order-status back to "Pending".

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.