Plugin Contributions

Default W3C Markup Validation Errors Help

Hi All,

Hope you all having a great start to your day

Anyway, working on optimizing my site...still learning the process so please bear with me. Just ran a test on my site using the w3c validation market service and received 29 errors

So hoping to get some direction on how to begin fixing this...read some other posts but they seemed beyond my knowledge.

I received errors such as:

# Error Line 95, Column 130: ID "cartBoxEmpty" already defined

…yet on current order.</div><div id="cartBoxEmpty">Log in to see how many rewa

An "id" is a unique identifier. Each time this attribute is used in a document it must have a different value. If you are using this attribute as a hook for style sheets it may be more appropriate to use classes (which group elements) than id (which are used to identify exactly one element).
    # Info Line 95, Column 62: ID "cartBoxEmpty" first defined here

…ent" class="sideBoxContent"><div id="cartBoxEmpty">No points earned yet on cu

# Error Line 186, Column 44: element "o" undefined. Did you mean "caption" or "blockquote"?

dressed while sticking to your budget. <o></o></span></big><span

You have used the element named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not define an element of that name. This error is often caused by:

* incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Frameset" document type to get the "<frameset>" element),
    * by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "<spacer>" or "<marquee>" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).
    * by using upper-case tags in XHTML (in XHTML attributes and elements must be all lower-case).

Question: it gives my a line and column # but how do I know which file to check?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: W3C Markup Validation Errors Help

29 is actually really good to start with. I've seen pages with several hundred errors :) .

The best solution I've found is to import your whole zencart install into a program like dreamweaver or eclipse that will allow you to search the entire directory. Then you can search project-wide for some distinct text from the section it tells you to look at. The pages are stitched together from a lot of smaller files and there really isn't a mapping to tell you what is coming from where.

By the way, I believe some of your errors are coming from you pasting text in from Word. Word includes all sorts of extraneous tags that are not standard compliant in your text. I'll bet if you pasted your text into a plain text editor like notepad before putting it into your page it would strip the extra tags and eliminate a lot of those errors.

Plugin Contributions

Even easier - Use the Admin> Tools> Developers Tool Kit to do the search for a bit of unique text.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

thanks!